Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would one of the hydrofarm 8 light fixtures work well on my 5 foot 120 gallon tank?

A 24 cree LED on a 6x9 heat sink will put out a few hundred PAR at 24 inchrs. The cree xp-g are **** powerful. Look up the radion fixture. It uses 32 or 34 cree LEDs like the ones rapid LED sells. The radeons are designed to light up a 2 foot section of tank.

There is also a video on youtube, rickets reef diy LEDs he has a 48 LED kit from rapid LED over his 90 gallon and can grow SPS with ease. There is also another video on youtube that has a 120 48" tank with 48 cree LEDs that puts out a few hubdres PAR on the sand bed

Last edited:
mr_X said:
1 LED covers a, 16" square area? Are you sure about that? That doesn't sound right. No fixture to date has a single LED covering that kind of space.

i do agree that the hydrofarm fixtures are excellent for your application.

I know of one fixture that uses one led, the exotic canon led fixture. Now this is one powerful fixture. It might be able to cover that

You'd have to place a cannon a few feet above a tank to get the spread you want and really at that distance away I wouldn't think much PAR would be availabe

I know of one fixture that uses one led, the exotic canon led fixture. Now this is one powerful fixture. It might be able to cover that
i called them about those canons. they said that you would need 3 or 4 of them over a 4' tank. not as powerful as would be expected, and we're talking about 100 watt LED's, not 3 watters.
so that's 400 watts...i might as well use T5s or halides even.

mr_X said:
i called them about those canons. they said that you would need 3 or 4 of them over a 4' tank. not as powerful as would be expected, and we're talking about 100 watt LED's, not 3 watters.
so that's 400 watts...i might as well use T5s or halides even.

Wow 3 or 4 over a 4' tank? yeah for that kind of money I would just use a metal halide and a t5 combo or even just a t5 fixture. I thought they were more powerful then that.

Yep. Whatt do you expect from a light that is 3 inches and is a point light. Why do you think LEDs are placed in mass amounts. They are not designed to light up large areas on their own so what would a 100 watt or 250 watt cannon be any different

I would have though with the high power you would have to place them a foot above the tank, giving them a wider "effective range" but in this case I guess not

The spreed on such a small diode could really never spread out that much. And no optic would even give you that option

Gti_Leo said:
The spreed on such a small diode could really never spread out that much. And no optic would even give you that option

Agreed. It's only good for really deep and tall tanks such as column or Cylinder tanks.

Go led my tank is 34 in deep and the corals love them and for that lenth tank the amount of 1,000 watt mh bulbs u would need u will boil your tank so the cost of the fixtures and a Chiller and the electric get your self some LEDs

That's not true. I have a 31" deep tank and use T5HO's. You definitely do not need thousand watt halides, nor a chiller.

FishEggs said:
How about installing a few solar tubes and save even more on electric since they don't require any?
Check out this thread He has a 700 gal tank and uses them plus t5ho's.

The dome shape wouldn't look very good on my roof, bungalow with cedar shingles.

I just ordered a bunch of led fixtures.

Some 20000k some 14000k and some less

The dome shape wouldn't look very good on my roof, bungalow with cedar shingles.

I just ordered a bunch of led fixtures.

Some 20000k some 14000k and some less

did you gt them off of ebay? gregcoyot uses them and says they are great fixtures, the only thing is i don't know how long they would last

Back
Top Bottom