Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsim9697 View Post
Also, LiveAquaria.com has a nice web site that gives you lots of information about the corals they sell. It also has an entire section on "beginner corals".

Don't get anything until you have your new filtration going and your tank has cycled completely. I don't recommend getting any corals until you have a good skimmer, lights, power head, a good source of replacement water for water changes, plenty of live rock and sand. Those are the keys to beginner corals. Don't waste your money on all the tests that are out there. All you need is PH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite (these come in a kit), Calcium, and Alkalinity. There are also boat loads of chemicals that you are supposed to dose with. It's all worthless (sometimes even harmful) if you have good salt.

If you make your own salt, use Reverse Osmosis/DeIonized (RO/DI) water with the salt brand, "reef crystals" and you will never have to dose anything EVER. Do weekly 20% water changes and you might not even have to test or dose calcium. There are al lot of brands and chemicals that they say are essential for reefkeeping but really, you can be most successful if you just keep it simple.
Oh this is promising.

My tank is cycled, I have good lights, I have all of those tests (except calcium), I use RO/DI water, I use Instant Ocean ReefCrystals salt, and I do 20% weekly water changes!

Just have to get the sump and skimmer.

I'm asking questions about corals now but it's likely going to be a few months off.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquarium Light Timers: Coralife Power Center

I'm wondering if this timer will allow me to do the following:

1) Turn on actinic bulbs
2) turn on whites in addition with the actinic bulbs
3) turn off whites
4) turn off blues and turn moonlights on
5) (repeating the cycle) turn off moonlights and turn on actinic bulbs

It seems confusing to me.

My lights have 3 separate power cords
1 cord for the 2 actinic bulbs
1 cord for the 2 white bulbs
1 cord for the led moonlights

Old 05-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

if you get the right timer it should work. I tried the timer but couldnt figure it out, luckily my 55g has a timer built in. But I will be learning the timer AGAIN for the 125g. Ugh. I hate those things
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

haha that's why i linked to that timer
asking if it was the right timer!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good news, I asked their live help and the DUAL version will meet the requirements for what I want.

She also confimed that the latest review is bogus (CAN run both actinics and whites at the same time). And the other reviews regarding durability are conflicting.

So I ordered it and we'll see how it turns out!
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am really liking this topless.

I ordered more glass tops in case there are problems (i broke the glass tops while cutting them.. they are so fragile!)

I hope I can run it topless without people or my cat contaminating it... or suddenly developing an interest in the fishies.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
I am really liking this topless.

I ordered more glass tops in case there are problems (i broke the glass tops while cutting them.. they are so fragile!)

I hope I can run it topless without people or my cat contaminating it... or suddenly developing an interest in the fishies.

Told ya so lol
I love mine
Old 05-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
omg, I love the b&w's! They are so cute. When they are really little they are orange and then turn black. Mine still have some orange in them and it's been months.

If you don't post pictures, well, you just better is all!
If pictures are worth a thousand words, videos are worth millions (depending on how long the video is and how many frames per second! - lame joke i know)

Two large b&w clownfish - mated pair
Old 05-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had the same problem you are having with my lights being to bright when I sat down near the aquarium.I did a simple fix.Went to Lowe's and got a piece of three and a half inch cove pre-primed moulding.Cut it the length of the front of the aquarium and glued a small piece on each end at a right angle.Painted it a satin black finish to match my stand.It sits on the front edge of the aquarium perfectly,it will take care of your problem.I just lift it off and set it on the floor when I work inside the tank.
Look at my recent posts of my tank in members showcase and you will see what I mean.Makes your tank look like it has a cover even though it doesn't.Hope this helps.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks rick, I think I gave gotten use to it now though. Carey was right about me liking it topless and about getting used to the light lol.. She has infinite wisdom!

I just got my new glass tops today tho. I don't need them now but I guess I'll keep them for when/if I do.

The timer I got works great and was really easy to set. i love it.

Now I need to figure out a good timing schedule.

Currently I have actinics coming on at 10 am, whites coming on at 11 am and going off at 9 pm, actinics going off at 10 pm, and lunar lights on from 10 pm till 10 am.

Is this too much light? What are your guys light schedules?

Tags
55 gallon, light, lighting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com