lighting for 55g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went with the no-named one off of ebay with the LED moonlights :(
flame me, i know

my gut said not to trust it
the price and wow factor said "trust me!"

Wow, this thing is BRIGHT
especcially when both whites and both actinics are on

I'm just wondering when I should run which lights. And I didn't like the stands it came on. So I am just resting the strip on the glass tops. This should be OK as long as the temperature doesn't go nuts, right?

I wouldn't just rest it on the glass especially since you have working legs on the unit.

I have my blues come on at 9am then whites at 10. Whites go off at 8 and the blues follow at 9. I don't have any moonlights. :-(

I've been successfully keeping all my corals from softies to sps with this schedule and have 0 algae. That could also be the seahare and blenny at work too LOL

I don't like it sitting like 5 inches above the aquarium :( When I sit down on the couch I can see the underside of the light fixture and it is very bright and distracts from the aquarium. What are the cons of resting it on the glass?

Should the blues be on with the whites during the day?
I'm not sure how this works (I am so noob).

I'm going to get a timer. They are cheap. I was thinking blues for dawn, blues & whites for daytime, blues for for dusk, then just moonlight leds for nighttime. Sound good?

Yep, sounds good. After awhile you won't even notice the lights, I don't anymore. Mine are way higher than my couch too

Thank you carey, you rock. ;)

I'm going to put it on the legs anyways. Didn't realize how hot 4 bulbs would get, lol. I don't think the legs will attach securely unless I take off my glass tops. I'm not sure.. grr. I'll have to play with it.

I know :D
Will definitely take pictures!
Just have to get it situated first lol

OK, got the legs on there.
Going to have to score and cut my glass tops. I like them on there.

I was skeptical on running open tops, I really was. Until I took them off and tried it on my 55g. :-D

It made me really worry but I got over it. You should try it. Unless you plan on getting stock that are jumpers! lol

I'm gonna run open top on the new 125g. And boy is that light fixture HUGE but I have faith. Plus I hear it's better for the overall health of the tank too.

I like that it slows evaporation.
And there's so many people in and out of here I'm afraid they'd get stuff in there. Like cigarette ashes, hair spray, lotions, etc etc etc

I dunno I just like the idea of a contained system!

I saw that light fixture you're speaking of.. that thing is ACE!

Blues:
314xj4y.jpg

Whites:
n478ly.jpg

Blues & Whites:
10wm89v.jpg

Moonlights:
akycsk.jpg

My camera (my cell phone) tends to focus on the lights and black everything else out.. so the pictures (except for the light) appear way darker than they really are - it is not that dark in my house lol.

Also, the moonlight effect is way cooler than the picture shows. It shimmers because of the water movement :-D

I am very happy!

Very nice light set!! I just hope it stands the test of time.

I love the moonlights! I'm so jealous. You would think on my new light that's so "hi end" supposedly that they would have added moonlights.

Look like you got a good deal there!

Next stop: stocking something cool! LOL

Next stop: stocking something cool! LOL

Yesss!

Getting my large black & white clowns on saturday. I already have them paid for. Just waiting since I added two green chromis not too long ago. Water's staying stable so signs are good!

After that, I don't know what I'll stock, lol. Still deciding

omg, I love the b&w's! They are so cute. When they are really little they are orange and then turn black. Mine still have some orange in them and it's been months.

If you don't post pictures, well, you just better is all! :-D

Will do. :-D I just won't know where to post it LOL. I have too many threads open as it is!

Dang these lights are bright. I'm sure I'll get used to them. But my eyes kinda hurt right now lol

I'm just wondering out of curiosity.. could I keep almost anything with these lights?

Just for reference I have:

(2) x 54W T5 HO Fluorescent 12,000k White Daylight Bulbs Offers Natural Sunlight.
(2) x 54W Blue Actinic Bulbs-Health of Marine Corals and Invertebrates.
(4) Pairs, 8 Blue-Moonlight LEDs for Night Time Viewing, Save Electricity.
10,000 Lumens-High Outputs (2 x 54 Watt) x 5,000 Lumens Full Spectrum of Light.
High Power Output T5 Bulbs with Life Expectancy Up to 24,000 Hours.
Build in Internal Double Arc Reflector and Detachable Light Holders.
German Designed Aluminum Reflector for Maximum Lighting Effect.
Non-Corrosive White Powder Coated Aluminum Housing Steel Light.
Clear Acrylic Shield for Protecting the Light from Water Splashing.

I read that anemones and stony corals require very high lights. I just want to know my hardware limits. :-D

It is a 55g tank about 20" deep for more information

Back
Top Bottom