Lighting for my new Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanej20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I am new to saltwater and am currently cycling my tank. Today I ordered a new lighting system because the one that came with my tank is no good. I purchased an Odyssea. Here are the specs.

2x 65w Straight pins 12000K Daylight PC Bulb.
2x 65W Straight pins True Actinic PC Bulb.
1x Acrylic lens

I have a 55 gallon tank and I plan on buying Live Rock when I move.

Will this lighting be sufficient to support anenomies and coral? Did I buy a good system?? I am in college and not loaded with money so it seemed like a good buy.

It will depend on what types of corals you get. I would avoid Hard Corals and Clams, most other things should be okay. It would be best for you to avoid a glass cover on your tank though so that no light gets blocked out. If you do use glass, do your best to keep them spotless.

you would be good with LPS and softies , as for clams and anenomes they require stable tanks that are up for a year with out issues . Most prefer to say MH for the clam and anenome but some folks have kept them under pc sucessfully , and just suppliment thier feeding weekly.
That seems like a decient system ... As for the LR you really do need it for cycling your tank properyly . It adds to the bio filtration as well as giving you the boost for your cycle , and gives your bio bacteria a place to grow and thrive

Welcome to AA :D

Light is fine for medium light corals but most anemones would require double the wattage. Why do you want an anemone? If it's for a clown to host it's not necessary, especially for tank raised clowns.

When did you plan on moving?

Back
Top Bottom