Best LED light for a planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baydo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Finnex planted plus 24/7 cc or fluval fresh and planted 2.0

I am looking for a new light for my 20 gallon planted tank. I am deciding between the finnex 24/7 or the fluval 2.0. Any other options would be appreciated.

(L) 24" (H) 12"
Substrate: Eco complete planted substrate
Co2: I'm investing in a co2 system at the moment but I'm dosing flourish ATM
Plants: Monte Carlo, Dwarf Hair Grass, Pogostemon Erectus, Amazon Sword and Java Fern.

THANKS

I have both lights and the fluval is better IMO.
Not the same function controls but a solid light .
I also have Beams works "DAFSPEC" that I use an Ebay $5 dimmer with..I am not the planted guy though , I just grow plants in my fish tank ,no real clue or concern..
Fluval is buck$ ,1 out of 3 of my 24/7 has crapped out ,and the beamswork are so affordable you could have 2 or 3 of them for each 1 of the others...
Links to DA FSPEC on TPT , I think they like it?

+1 for beamswork, I have it and on a 20 gallon long it makes the thing look like a disco it's so bright and you can see the rgb colors, but finnex vs Fluval, from everything I've seen Fluval seems to be the better one for it

I have the Finnex 24/7 and I really enjoy the 24/7 mode. I think it much more natural for the tank inhabitants and the plants have done great. I’m not using CO2 or Excel. IMG_2458.jpg

I’m thinking about getting another on for a different tank, the 24/7 SE.

I picked up the fresh & plant 2.0, this is an extremely well built light, completely waterproof, 3 year warranty and amazing customer service. I don't think the other brands give you those great features.... (not saying they are bad light).

As for your specific tank, because you have a CO2 system, I would go for the fluval light, it is much more powerful than the other lights, I believe 130 PAR @ 12", that is very good, and it has a 120 degree spread, so one fixture is usually enough.

People complain about the touch pad button, but for me it works flawlessly and I'm convinced its user error, not the light's touch button that is faulty.

Finnex planted + 24/7 or fluval fresh and planted 2.0

I was wondering which one of these two lights would e better for a planted aquarium

SPECS
Tank dimensions L24" x W12" x H12"
Co2: no co2 at the moment but I am looking into getting one
Ferts: dose flourish and flourish excel weekly
Plants: Monte Carlo, Dwarf Hair grass, Pogostemon Erectus, Dwarf baby tears and rotala (can't remember what type)
Substrate: Flourite black sand

Finnex planted + 24/7 vs fluval fresh and planted 2.0

I was wondering which one of these two lights would e better for a planted aquarium

SPECS
Tank dimensions L24" x W12" x H12"
Co2: no co2 at the moment but I am looking into getting one
Ferts: dose flourish and flourish excel weekly
Plants: Monte Carlo, Dwarf Hair grass, Pogostemon Erectus, Dwarf baby tears and rotala (can't remember what type)
Substrate: Flourite black sand

Finnex fugeray planted plus vs finnex planted plus 24/7 vs finned ray 2

I'm deciding between these three lights for my tank

Tank specs
L 24" W 12" H14
Ferts: using seachem flourish and flourish excel
Co2: do not have co2 but am looking into pressurised co2 at this moment
Plants: Monte Carlo, Dwarf Hair Grass, Dwarf Baby Tears, Pogostemon Erectus, and some rotala (can't remember what one)

Par values for Finnex:

ZPaTFIX.jpg

the 24/7 because it is dimmable. If you have too much light and not enough CO2 you will grow more algae than plants.

This is the scale that I use. opinions may vary.
Low Light - 15 to 30 PAR
Med Light - 30 to 50 PAR
High light - over 50 PAR

Last edited:
I have used a Finnex FugeRay, Planted+, and a 24/7 on a 20g long. At 12” the FugeRay is good for medium light and the other two are high light. Dimmable is a big plus when trying to get the right amount of light.
I’ve heard that these models don’t do well with mishaps such as an accidental dip in the tank. Other than a faulty infrared receiver on the 24/7 (that was promptly fixed) no issues.

The PAR values above are a good starting point, but they are through open air not water. I have also heard finnex does not deal with water well, and only a 1 year warranty.... fish tanks = water so.... fluval it was for me.

I have the fresh & plant 2.0 and I will preach for it.

Water proof. Fish tanks = water so.....
Powerful. 130 PAR @ 12" (CO2 needed) BUT you can dim it.
Great color/light spread
Very solidly built unit, very nice slim + longgggggg power cord.
Will work with standard timers if you don't want to buy the fancy wifi controller.
3 year warranty, great customer service and overall a nice slim fixture.

The Finnex I have heard is prone to water damage, only a 1 year warranty, and not quite as powerful as the fluval.

I'm going to be setting up a a new tank and wanted to ask your guys opinion what light would suit me tank best. Would like to keep it around $100
SPECS
Substrate: Fluval plant stratum
Ferts: flourish excel and flourish
Plants: Blyxa japonica, crypt parva, staurogyen repens, java fern, amazon sword and Pygmy chain sword
Tank dimensions: (L)24" (W) 12" (H) 14"
Co2: don't have co2 and aren't planning too

You can do a finnex like they posted on your other thread but the 24/7 mode might be to strong, I have an elive 48" with 28 pods on my 55 gallon but you will spend more in pods than you will by getting a nice led, I hear beamswork is decent but not too sure, as also mentioned in your other thread I would switch up your flourish with thrive

When choosing a light for low light low tech you want to focus on par (15+ par at the substrate this won't be to strong for non co2 I have about 15-18 par @ 18")/ spectrum (6500-7000k) &
lumens
For the low light plants, they would need an average of 60 lumens per gallon
The average light plants would need about 110 lumens per gallon
The high light plants would need more to about 150 lumens per gallon

there's always a way to adjust things so they work but I believe with a 24/7 it will be too strong and you would have algae issues so I would go with a current or even the beamswork 6500 I won't recommend mine because as I mentioned I added 16 pods (it comes with 12 for the 48") @ say average $8.00 per pod not to Kevin the cost of the fixture which I could of bought a better light with or even 2.

Another thing is what plants are you going to put in the tank example anubias you really don't need anything they will grow in the dark.

I have cryotocoryne Wendtii red, anubias, moneywart, ludwigia repens, Amazon sword, a flame leaf sword and a pot of cryotocoryne parva (Dwarf kinda like a carpet) they are all growing amazing and i have about 650 lumens, 6700k and as mentioned 15-18 par at 18"

I'm no expert at this by all means so hopefully someone can come in and recommend a light for you but definitely look into a better fert than flourish comprehensive.

Back
Top Bottom