Lighting help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, now that the 110 is in, Daniel and I need to start thinking of lighting. We will be having a FOWLR tank that may, in years to come become a reef. For right now, however, I would like to concentrate on lighting just for a FOWLR tank.

PC's and T-5's is what it's against most likely. MH's are just too expensive. It is my impression that T-5's are more energy efficient? For the same light output for a 110 FOWLR, what would I need in PC's and what would I need if I did T-5's?

The plan is to do a hanging light. How much room inbetween the light and the tank can there be?

A lot of questions, I know, sorry, this is my first dive into SW! I am excited and really scared!

How about VHO?
T-5s are nice I have a few friends who use them and they love them. They say you need to make sure the light has a high quality reflector to get all the output from the bulbs.
These are not cheap lights either...

6 inches (approx) of room is what I have on my lights, of course I have MH, and I don't want to close to the water otherwise the tank temp will raise since the lights are so stinkin hot!

lmw80 said:
VHO is a type of flourescent light, right? Just puts out more light?
Yes, VHO = very high output, HO = high output and NO = normal output.
VHO's will draw more electric current and will cost a little more to operate. From what I understand the T5's have the lumen output of a VHO but use less electricity, last much longer and of course are smaller so you use more in a given space. If you plan on hanging light then you have lots and lots of options.

Try these guys.
http://www.aquatictech.com/internet_specials.html

Back
Top Bottom