Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

s10469

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anybody have an opinion on the nova pro extreme, 48inch 6x54 watt lighting? I was going to get the 8 bulb version but, am learning you get better lighting with the 6 bulb due to the individual reflectors, which the 8 bulb doesnt have. I am putting it on my 90 gal., and i wanted some corals and even a clam in time, the 6 bulb gives me just under 4 watts/gal., the 8 bulb gives me 5 watts/gal. I am trying to get the best overall results on a 500 dollar budget while staying with t5 lighting. Any opinions or suggestions out there?

The watts per gal rule is a pretty loose representation. I am not real familiar with T5's but from what I have read is that the individual reflectors do make a difference.

See what other people keep with that fixture and don't beat yourself up over the watts per gallon.

Sorry I can't help more.

I would recommend the PRO over the older version (which I have) as it has 1 reflector that is shaped around each individual bulb. I like that product over the version I have (nova extreme) because it has 2 fans and a much sturdier mounting system. The only downfall is it doesn't have the moonlight LEDs (but that's not really a selling point for me).
Another option (more costly) would be the Tek-System lights. They have the parabolic reflectors (much better reflective effects). THe downfall to this system is, you have to buy the bulbs, splash guard, mounting legs and it has no moonlight LEDS. I have seen them in action and they are quite impressive, I just don't want to buy everything separate....Although, I am still kinda on the fence.

You should be able to keep most corals and clams under that light. Placement in the aquarium is key. I don't think I would place a clam on the sand bed, but mid-level on the rock should be fine. As ellisz said, finding out what others are able to keep under that light will be your best indication.

Back
Top Bottom