Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

athomson101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up my first marine tank at the moment. I used to keep freshwater for many years and then gave up when I left America. I've decided that I want to get back into it but with marines instead.

But ... things have changed since I last looked at these things!

My first tank will be a FOWLR but I would hope to morph it into a reef once I get back into the habit. All my fish choices will be aimed towards reef, etc.

Could someone please explain the difference between the light types and fixtures that are now available? Or perhaps point me in the direction of a post or article that explains these? Perferably with simple words?

There is the Juwel Hi-Lite system that refers to T8 and T5, then the metal halides, etc, moon bulbs, etc.

I have a Juwel Vision 450 tank (so about 105 US Gallons).

thanks in advance

Andy

Lighting can be the most expensive part of your system. What type of lighting you should use depends on the types of coral you want to keep.
Here's a basic run down for lights from the weakest to the strongest.
1. normal output fluorescent: you can keep low light mushrooms and zoa's
2. CF -compact fluorescent: the above plus some low light LPS
3. VHO - Very High Output: the above plus some lower light SPS
4. T5 HO - T5 refers to the bulb size and they are High Output: anything, if you have the proper reflectors and enough bulbs
5. MH - metal halide: everything

Thanks for the replies guys.

So if I'm understanding right, the Juwel T5 Hi-Lites are good for FOWLR and later on reef without having to upgrade?

Andy

Yes, they are fine for FOWLR. Depending on how many bulbs are in the fixture you have now and what corals you want to keep, you may need to upgrade and add more bulbs.

Yes I was going to say that it depends on the corals you want to have. Should be OK for soft and LPS corals.

so would something like the Current USA Outer Orbit 2x150w 10K HQI-MH w/ 4x54W T5 HO & 18 Lunar Lights, be enough for a 75 gal reef tank or would the 250w MH be a better choice?
Is Current USA a decent light company to go with?

I think it would depend on the animals you want to keep. I ran 2 250w MH on my 75 when it was up. I kept anything I wanted. The 150's would work but might not get you the penetration all the way down.

Would work though. Are you wanting clams or acros? If you want to keep softies or LPS, save yourself the money and get T5's or PC's. MH is not needed for them.

Current is a good company. I have never owned one but they have been around awhile.

I would like to do a mix of SPS and LPS. I was under the impression that most corals needed MH to grow properly. When a corals light level says "High" just how does that mean (same for moderate). do you have to use MH for "High" lighting needs?

For high lighting MH is the best option as they produce more intense light that penetrates deeper in the tank. You can also achieve high light with T5 HO. You just have to have enough of them to get the correct amount of lighting. I have more SPS then other types of coral and for my tank I have a mixture of MH, VHO and T5 HO.

Back
Top Bottom