Lighting situation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjwilley718

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got my 75 gallon tank. I have this awkward brace on top of my tank. I was wanting some opinions about what I should do. I was going to get a 4 or 6 bulb t5 fixture, but I'm thinking that it might cause a shadow. I was also thinking that maybe getting 2 radions or 2 kessils. Thoughts???

Attachments

• image-912853994.jpg
    image-912853994.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 86
Depending on what lights you get will determine if you get a shadow or not but whatever you do don't remove the brace. With t5 you will get no shadow but if you go with 2 pendant style fixtures whether MH or led you likely will see the shadow but that depends on how high above the tank they are. The lower they are the less shadow but the more risk of burning unacclimated corals.

I don't think you'll get a shadow either way you go. I have a brace in the middle, with two led lights a foot above the tank on each side and there's no shadow. Also I've had t5's over the tank without a shadow also.

I am worried about my 280g though when I set it up. The middle brace is about 15 inches and the tank is 6 feet long. It is acrylic though so maybe the light will penetrate it well enough.

I have a buddy that has a 75g with LEDs and he has a shadow, could be due to them being DIY and he grouped each pendant pretty tightly. A premade led unit would probably have the led pods spread out more which would likely reduce if not eliminate the shadow.

I appreciate the help. I really really really want the radion lights, but don't know if budget will allow me to get two of them which i think i will need.

Ya you would need two, they are typically considered to cover a 2 foot square area each. I would save your money while the tank cycles and get two or post another thread about led lighting suggestions. Alot of members have been having success with an led unit that is alot more cost friendly, I believe the brand was taotronics but hopefully Carey or mr x can chime in and let you know, or you could private message them and ask.

I have read that the taotronics arnt any good as the leds are week (less than one watt each) and cant penetrate a deep tank well and that you should be getting leds of at least 2 watts 3 is better i am currently debating picking up a 150 watt led fixture by aquapro using 50 3 watt crees for my 24inch deep tank but i would need two of them on amazon they sell for around 200 im posting from my phone so putting a link to them is to hard for me at the moment but might wanna take a look they have a 75 watt one as well using 3 watters mix of white and blue with a switch for the blue and one for the white

Thegrumpyfish said:
I have read that the taotronics arnt any good as the leds are week (less than one watt each) and cant penetrate a deep tank well and that you should be getting leds of at least 2 watts 3 is better i am currently debating picking up a 150 watt led fixture by aquapro using 50 3 watt crees for my 24inch deep tank but i would need two of them on amazon they sell for around 200 im posting from my phone so putting a link to them is to hard for me at the moment but might wanna take a look they have a 75 watt one as well using 3 watters mix of white and blue with a switch for the blue and one for the white

Scratch that week watt statment i just read they are using 3 watt leds as well now must have been an old article i read about them using low wattage leds

Yeah they are using 3w LEDs driven at 2w each. Those suckers are powerful.

I don't know where you read that, but it's not at all true. They come with 3w LED's which are driven at 2w. Mr_X and I both posted PAR #'s for that fixture and they are fine to use for ANY coral.

I like how the author of that article admits he doesn't have those LED's but is just passing on what he heard. Hardly a reliable review IMO.

Anyway, here you go.
PAR_mh-led.jpg

And my tank under those LED's.
fts_5-5-12.jpg

Wow your tank looks sweet! And they are comparable to 175 watt mh thats nice to know and the price is nice as well thanks for the info i couldnt find any par readings for these fixtures online anywhere and that was keeping me from getting them and making the move from 125 fowlr to 125 reef now to talk the wife into spending the money on "only lights" as she dont understand that i cant keep coral or a bta under my current no t12 light setup

Search on amazon.com or ebay under led reef lights or some variation or put taotronics led reef lights and you should be able to find them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom