Live rock arrived - next step?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today I received 80 pounds of live rock today from liverocks.com. Yippie! 8) I placed it in my tank right away - the arranging will happen later today when I get home from work.

Anyway, I have some questions I was hoping to get the answers to:

1. I will be using the live rock to cycle the tank. Do I need to add a cocktail shrimp or a damselfish to the tank to aid in the cycle? Do I need to add any food to this tank during the cycle? I would hate for the hitchhikers to go hungry.

2. I'm really struggling with how to aquascape the tank. I'd like to take all the rock out and try to arrange it outside of the tank, but I'm afraid I will harm the rock and associated critters by doing so. Any suggestions?

3. I've already got a sand bed of approximately 2-3 inches and I want this rock to be as stable as possible. Should I lay the rock directly on top of the sand or should I a PVC structure as a base to lay the rock on?

4. I received some large pieces and several smaller pieces of live rock. I love the larger pieces. What should I do with the smaller pieces? Do you build caves or other thingamajigs out of those pieces?

So many questions... Thanks for the help! :D

1) No shrimp is needed. Whatever die-off is there, it'll be enough to do your cycle. I added my rock in, and my cycle ended fast. Hitchhikers won't go hungry... they'll have the rock to feed on :wink: Just make sure to test for am in a few days or so, hold off on nitrate testing for a while as it will take a bit for those levels to rise.

2) You can take the rock out if you need to, just make sure that you don't leave it out of the water. Mix up a tub of mixed saltwater for the rock to be in... and then place each rock piece by piece.

3) You can use PVC if you want... just make sure that there are big pieces on the bottom to keep the structure stable. I don't use PVC, but then again, my bottom rock is touching the glass on the bottom so there's no risk of sand sifting around.

4) I use the smaller pieces to add to the top. Things will move around alot as you add in corals, since many corals come with a piece of rock itself. Just place them as you wish, and sit back and enjoy!!

Where are the pics?! :wink:

RLG2182 has got it all right thats exactly what i did no pvc either just pushed the larger rock into the sand and my tank just ended yesterday 11 days after i got the rock so very fast! good luck shannono!!!! what kind did you get keys or gulf or both?

which kind of rock do you think is better keys or gulf, personally id like to get gulf because of the creatures id get (thatd be awesome), is there any difference other than look and creatures?

Keys is much more covered with coralline algae, while gulf is more full of life. Both rocks will provide beneficial filtering capabilities... it's mostly a matter of preference. I prefer keys due to the added color. I would rather add in my own hitchikers anyways. :wink:

just make sure that there are big pieces on the bottom to keep the structure stable.
RLG2182: I spoke with Ron at Liverocks.com, and he suggested I use some of the smaller pieces to elevate the larger ones off the sand a bit. He also recommended that I turn the smaller pieces back and forth to ensure that they are anchored firmly in the sand. I did this and I'm quite pleased with how it all looks for the moment.
Your next step is posting some pics!
Lando: Yep, it IS time to post some pics. :wink: I've got another 40 pounds of Keys rock coming today (Thursday), and after I've arranged it in the tank, I'll see what I can do about taking some photos.
what kind did you get keys or gulf or both?
zach119: I ordered a total of 120 pounds of Keys rock. The first 80 pounds arrived before 10:00AM Wednesday - extremely well-packaged and in great condition.
...which kind of rock do you think is better keys or gulf
halibutsmack: I preferred the look of the Keys rock, so I ordered the majority of my rock as Keys rock. I will be adding an additional 40 pounds of Gulf rock just so I can have some diversity in the tank.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! :)

Cant wait to see some pics im still trying to get my digital camera so i cant take my pics i put 40 pounds keys in 2 weeks ago and my tank is cycled now and isee new things in or on the rock everyday its very exciting. i might order 10 more pounds of gulf just to have.

Back
Top Bottom