Live Rock in Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
Quick question about aquascaping ... is it best to leave as much rock 'exposed' to waterflow as possible or can I rake the sand up around the sides of the rock to create a more natural looking transition from sand to rock?

It's a personal preference, but with phs, they may move a lot of sand, depending on your water flow. You also may want to take into account your stocking options. If you are looking at sand sifters, they will move the sand, likewise if you are looking into sand burrowers....I would make sure the rock is firmly on the bottom of the tank and then add the sand...

I was like yourself; I 'sculptured the sand' to my licking. My sleeper gobies decided that they were not happy with what I created, so they redecorated. And continue to do so. It is there home and they will do as they like. As with Roka64 the main thing is to have the rocks secure.

Thanks guys. I worked for 2 hours last night creating slopes and valleys in the sand to try and mimic a natural setting and when I got up this morning the water flow from the powerhead decided where the sand should be and how it should look ... so I guess I can say I am just gonna have to go with the flow!

"Go with the flow", that sounds about right!

Back
Top Bottom