Liverock help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have started adding live rock to my tank. What do i need to add to the water to "feed" the rock? Any help will be appreciated

An ammonia source, whether that be pure ammonia with no surfactants, or something like a raw shrimp from the grocery store

You don't need to do anything unless there are specific organisms on the rock that are still alive and require a particular food. Most live rock does not need anything at this point. What you need to do now is get all of the live rock you are going to add as soon as possible so that the rock can cure and the tnak can cycle that much sooner. Then you will be able to start stocking.

Thenrock i have bought is cured allready does that change anything

Do you have any detectable ammonia or nitrite? Even cured rock can be uncured by the time you get it home, you need to make sure it is still cycled. You still need to get in all the rock you are going to add before you start stocking. One piece of 'cured' rock that has something dead in it could throw off the whole tank if you start stocking it before you are done adding rock.

Ammonia and nitrite are low although not zero i bought the rock and added it to my tank 10minutes later i need to get about 16kg of rock to finish off once i have it all then will i need any suppliments for the rock?

Probably not. It really depends on what is growing on it. In most tanks once you start adding livestock they will provide everything the rock needs. Live rock itself doesn't need anything, but certain things growing on it will need certain nutrients.

Coralline needs elevated calcium levels, in a larger tank you should add it if you want your rocks to get that purple look. In a smaller tank, using reef quality salt mix and doing PWC regularly should mean you don't have to dose a thing.

Back
Top Bottom