Looking for suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK. I am still workin on the 29 gallon. Sand is in, tank is seeded, 1 piece of live rock to help ith seeding (already cured, I actually bought it as dead rock and had it seeded in my 10 gallon for a few months) Salt is mixed, temp is now stable at 79 degrees was 84, apparantly I have a broken heater now, glad that I always use back ups.

I have found a 130W 10k and actinic PC light, with moonlighting. I am planning on using a glass top, or would that be a bad thing? Should I just go with egg-crate, and where can I find it? Never see it before

I am plannin on a skimmer, I havea had a few suggested to me already, I would like to eventually go with aHOB refugium as well, but for the time being, the tank will not start with one.

What I do need to start the tank, is some more (new) powerheads. I will just get new ones, dont feel like using hte small ones on the 10 gallon tnak on the 29, so I will just buy a couple larger ones.

I need suggestions on power heads and qunatity for a 29 gallon reed tank, with the PHs providing the vast majority of the water flow. I dont know exactly how much water flow I shold I have, I imagine betwee 450-600 gph? dotn know for sure, so I am loking for suggestions, thanks. :)

I am planning on using a glass top, or would that be a bad thing?
It can interfer with the gas exchange between the tank and the room. That will lead to issues like low PH and low oxygen levels.
Should I just go with egg-crate,
Eggcrate or nothing. If you don't plan on getting any fish that are "jumpers" I would leave the top open. It allows for good gas exchange and offers a nice point of view. Many corals are most colorful when viewed from above.
Should I just go with egg-crate, and where can I find it?
Home Depot sells it. It's used in offices to cover the fluorescent lighting fixtures in ceilings.
I dont know exactly how much water flow I shold I have, I imagine betwee 450-600 gph?
A reef should have a minimum of 10 times per hour turn over, 15 times is a good medium for soft and LPS coral. So 450-600gph would be good. Maxijets are good ph's that last a long time. I also like Seio ph's. They move a lot of water but have a wide, gentle flow pattern compared to a narrow, "jet stream" like most ph's. A single Seio 620 would give you pretty good turnover in a 29g.

You are going to add more LR to your tank right. 1.5 -2 lbs per gallon is suggested. LR and a skimmer IMO is all that is needed.

Yeah I will be slowly adding more Live rock, because I cant have both tanks up and once. I will be starign with te 10 lbs I have, and the fish I have in the 10 gallon all in the 29.

I will then add live rock in increments of 5lbs till I reach about 40lbs, not adding any more until the mini cycles are complete. If there is one, I buy cured liverock from an LFS, and dint have a cycle at all when I started my 10 gallon. At 40lbs, I will prolly add the last 10 in one shot. I figure it should take a month anda half or so, then will complete the stocking list, and wait 6 months for an anenome.

Thanks, that is exactly the type of info I was lookin for on the PHs :) will look into those, s hould I go for 2 PHs, or 3 or 4? what is a decent number of PHs that is recommended if any

Some of the fish I will have are supposeod to be jumpers, clowns, and gobies will prolly be the only thiongs in the tank, plus possibly some type of starfish, which I am told have a tendency to climb out

I have never had a starfish climb out of the water. I have three between my two tanks. They come to the water line and stop. I think it is very rare that a starfish would come out of the water.

Jarred Darque said:
s hould I go for 2 PHs, or 3 or 4? what is a decent number of PHs that is recommended if any
You definitely need to add at least one ph. All coral, some more than others, need water movement/currents. It brings them nutrients and also removes waste from the polyps/tissue. It's basically their means of respiration. Good water movement at the surface and through out the tank will also help prevent PH issues and allow water to pass through your LR, aiding filtration. Two small ph's at each side of the tank pointed towards the center or front glass would create good, random water flow. A maxijet 900 and a 600 would work ok. When I had a 29 gal w/ soft and LPS coral I used a maxijet 1200 and a maxijet 900 for water movement along with a HOB filter and skimmer for filtration.
plus possibly some type of starfish, which I am told have a tendency to climb out
I was always waiting to find something on the floor lol. Like Melosu said, it's not an issue. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom