Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, I spent 250 on my skimmer alone. $300 total for all of that is a bargain!! But really, once your up and going, the costs get better. I know about sticker shock, trust me. Once you're enjoying your beautiful fish and they are happy, it'll be worth it.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #172
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright. Well I'm going to give it a go. I realize that in this hobby $300 is just a drop in the bucket but for me it's a lot to put out on a "luxury item" so when I calculated it all I panicked a little bit lol. I'm gonna allow myself a budget of $100 total for livestock and then I'm done for better or for worse. I realize that $100 won't go very far but I'm going to try haha. I added a huge shrimp in about an hour ago so I will do my first water test in the AM.
I've been lucky enough to get pretty rad deals on most of this stuff second hand because I work at a pet store so many of my coworkers have had tanks at some point. Unfortunately we don't deal with saltwater so I'm left in the dark information wise.
Another perk of the job is that I don't have to buy test kits. I can just bring a water sample to work everyday and take advantage of our free testing.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool! Saving money on test kits!! Woot!!! $100 will get you a some fish. Blue reef chromis around here are around $7-8 each, 3 would be a great number of those, and they're very active swimmers and a beautiful color blue. Not all SW fish are expensive. A orange oscellaris clown is about $20. There are some fish that are $20 and less. Firefish are cute and inexpensive, usually
$15 or less for the white/red ones. And you don't have to add all the fish at once- do one every month or two until you get stocked.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow! Chromis where you live are really expensive. All my lfs sell them at $5 max. For a group of 5 I can get them at 15! And yeah there are some great inexpensive. Once again, even though damsels are really cheap, please stay away from them!

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 AM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurereef
Wow! Chromis where you live are really expensive. All my lfs sell them at $5 max. For a group of 5 I can get them at 15! And yeah there are some great inexpensive. Once again, even though damsels are really cheap, please stay away from them!
Agree about the damsels. Not worth the cheap price, will likely kill other fish in your tank. The blue reef are a little more, the blue-green are $5 here.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's just occurred to me that my tank does not have standard dimensions. It's a 50 gallon. 48"x18"x12". Does this affect my stocking abilities?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #177
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, but not by much. This has happened to me. I was bought a tank from craigslist and the guy said it was 90 gallons and I thought so too b/c it was so abnormal (5 feet which is even longer than most standard 90 gallons). Well a while later, I finally calculated the dimensions and it was only 70. I was kind of disappointed and I already bought all the equipment rated for 90+ (even the light), but now I have more filtration, lighting, etc. which is better.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well mine is still a 50 it's just different dimensions. It's the same footprint as the 60 I was originally going to use. Just six inches shorter. So could I have a foxface?
Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #179
Aquarium Advice Freak

Did my first water test today.

Ammonia 3ppm
Nitrite 2ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

Should I keep the shrimp in there or remove it?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep it in. Want ammonia to reach at least 4 ppm.

Tags
newbie, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com