Lots of newbie questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would ditch the royal gramma cause he will always be fighting with the wrasse
the copper band and the fox face
or it would be to cramped

Ok I can ditch the copperband and one of the angels but if possible I'd like to keep the gramma but we'll see. I mostly want the wrasse to eat bristle worms because they creep me out. I def want the foxface. How do you pronounce wrasse? I've been saying "rass-ee".

I have a royal gramma in my 55g and she behaves just fine. No fighting with other fish at all, but maybe I just got lucky? :D I have a carpenters wrasse in there also, and they get along fine. (y)

I'm officially there guys! My tank is cycled. 0 ammonia. 0 nitrite. 30-40 nitrate. I'm super pumped to add fishies. Is it okay to add 2 clowns and my CUC all at once or should I do it slower?

Start with a big water change and get those nitrates down then you could add the clowns or your CUC or your clowns and a handful of snails would probably be okay.

NicoleIsStoked said:
I'm officially there guys! My tank is cycled. 0 ammonia. 0 nitrite. 30-40 nitrate. I'm super pumped to add fishies. Is it okay to add 2 clowns and my CUC all at once or should I do it slower?

What is your method of removing nitrates ?

Yes...go slow. As for that list...it was already said, but I agree that two dwarf angels will probably have issues in a tank that size. Butterflies are notoriously difficult and would be better way down the road in a more established tank. I'd consider either the wrasse or the gramma. Both can be testy with other fish. Not sure if they would have issues with one another though.

TheTodd said:
Yes...go slow. As for that list...it was already said, but I agree that two dwarf angels will probably have issues in a tank that size. Butterflies are notoriously difficult and would be better way down the road in a more established tank. I'd consider either the wrasse or the gramma. Both can be testy with other fish. Not sure if they would have issues with one another though.

I agreed that I will only get one angel and ditch the butterfly. I'm willing to give up the gramma for the wrasse I think. But if possible when I go to the lfs either tomorrow or Friday I'd like to get 2 ocell clowns, a bunch of snails and a bunch of hermits. Too much?

Dreamsound, doing a pwc and skimming are the only ways I know of removing nitrates. If not removed, they will build up...

Excited for you. You've come a long way and glad you didn't give up! Enjoy the fish and inverts when you get them. Def. want to see pictures when you get them. (y)

Yes a skimmer removes the waste that would otherwise decompose and turn eventually into nitrates, but doing say a 50% water change is going to be a faster way of removing a lot of the nitrates.

NicoleIsStoked said:
I agreed that I will only get one angel and ditch the butterfly. I'm willing to give up the gramma for the wrasse I think. But if possible when I go to the lfs either tomorrow or Friday I'd like to get 2 ocell clowns, a bunch of snails and a bunch of hermits. Too much?

Reason i asked is imo you should get nitrates down as low as possible before adding fish because the nitrate will build up once added especially if you dont have fugi

Do a 50% change and recheck your trates. If they are anywhere below 20 you'll be fine for the clowns. I would wait a couple days for some (not all) of the CUC.
Your sump has room in the second section for a cheato ball. I would add that and a cheap desktop type CFL light with a clamp. That will consume nitrates.
A larger PWC is also an option.

Back
Top Bottom