Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #71
Aquarium Advice Regular

I like the discussion. Can I add a question on to it? I understand the curing process but where would you get uncured rock from (mail order, fishstore)? Wouldn't a fish store close by have cured live rock if it is in saltwater being circulated and filtered? I guess I am asking the dumb question of when do you have to cure rock? My understanding is to cure for sure when it is shipped to you and is in transit a good amount of time.

additionally, Do you have to cure all live rock bought at the store (speaking to bulk purchases after initial setup) regardless of where it was kept, ie in circulated tub or in the lfs's refugium? Sorry if I am hijacking the thread but it is a question I think worth answering for both of us.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice Freak

You're not hijacking the thread! It's all good.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I am currently in the process of cleaning the tank and prepping to paint the back and I came across a chip in the glass. I've attached a pic. Its on the outside of the corner. I'm suddenly really concerned. The guy I bought it from filled it up for me and sent pics. He said in the several days it was filled there were no leaks. Should I just fill the nook with some silicone and forget about it or should I be worried?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1655641060.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	119645  

Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Addict

Excellent questions both of you.
Curing: Rock can be considered cured when it has been in a tank for at least a week with no rise in either ammonia or nitrite. Caveat: a small uncured rock in a large cycled tank may not cause a spike because of the volume and availability of bacteria associated. So, the safest course of action is to assume it is uncured. Adding any live rock to an established tank is a gamble. But I've never personally had a problem doing so, personally.

Chipped glass: both my 55 display tank and it's 29 gallon sump have chips. Neither chips extend into the silicone seal. If yours does... Again, it's a gamble. Best bet is a leak test. Fill it in a place you don't mind getting wet. Patios work well. Note that saltwater is heavier than fresh, so I'd over salt it for the leak test if you are really worried. Cold water is also denser. Odds are, it's fine. But imagine the mess avoided by a failed leak test outside!
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Haven't seen it but for the rock you need just about double the gallons in the tank for LR do just go out and buy about 100-120 pounds and I know your on a budget but this one you should try to pay or the best you can get because this is the basis of the tank filtration of nitrates so I'm guessing it will be around $150-200 range it's a little expensive but it helps the tank a lot! As for the tang it's possible but don't add him until your clownfish and any other are in the tank so the tang isn't as aggressive. But it's up to you I would not think of putting a tang in a tank under 100 gal. If would suggest that you get the following. A dwarf angle fish ( one of my favorites very very colorful) 2 clowns ( really easy to care for) and if you start to notice hair algae which is probably always no matter what is going to get into our tank for that I suggest on of the three a law mower blenny ( although sometimes you can get one that doesn't eat it at all) a sea hare (slug) haven't tried this one yet but I hear they are the elephants of the sea the eat and s$@t a ton and will eat all the hair algae until there is no food left and if it doesn't grow back then it will die also a emerald crab again 50 50 it will eat the algae again hope I helped!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #75
Aquarium Advice Freak

I read somewhere about doing a freshwater dip on fish before putting them in the tank. Opinions?
Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleIsStoked
You're not hijacking the thread! It's all good.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I am currently in the process of cleaning the tank and prepping to paint the back and I came across a chip in the glass. I've attached a pic. Its on the outside of the corner. I'm suddenly really concerned. The guy I bought it from filled it up for me and sent pics. He said in the several days it was filled there were no leaks. Should I just fill the nook with some silicone and forget about it or should I be worried?
You might want to use epoxy instead of silicone
Old 09-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleIsStoked
I read somewhere about doing a freshwater dip on fish before putting them in the tank. Opinions?
Usually people do this to remove any parasites that might reside on the fish. I don't do it, but then again I don't quarantine fish for 4 weeks before placing them in my tank.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbratz

You might want to use epoxy instead of silicone
Isnt that toxic?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Some are not silicone is use able but not while there is water in the tank, so defeats the silicone. I use a putty called aqua-putty and it is exactly like mighty putty no toxins or anything just smash it together and it will harden when it's put in water very useful
Old 09-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok guys. I'm ready to buy all my stuff. Light: aqueon colormax or coralife 10000k? Food: flakes or pellets?

Tags
newbie, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com