Lots of newbie questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I am repeating myself but I would shy away from the dottyback if you want to keep ornamental shrimp (I would assume they would attack hermit crabs too but I don't know that), they are also quite territorial...

Good move on getting new tank, it would be hard if the tank leaked...and I'm sue it would leak at the most inconvenient time...

Better safe than sorry! I agree with Poon...dottybacks are very aggressive, even with fish larger than them. If you really like their appearance, I'd recommend getting a royal gramma instead b/c they're supposedly peaceful. (sorry if you already suggested that).

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Im pretty sure the copperband needs a 75 gallon tank just like the foxface

Liveaquaria has it listed as a 50g minimum. Of course bigger is better, though. It's also listed as "difficult" to take care of. :/

Why does the extra 4" of height make such a big difference?
I had a hell of a time painting the background of the first tank. Can anyone suggest a better alternative? I've never had luck with those vinyl ones.

I painted my 10 gallon tank with Krylon spray paint from Walmart. Really cheap/easy and the finished look was great! Just wrap the tank w/ newspaper (or regular paper) and tape except for the side you're spraying. Take it outside and put on the grass or trash bags (somewhere you don't mind getting paint). Then spray in horizontal lines about 3 times I think. It only takes 10 minutes to dry too.

Oh...the simple black or blue poster thing you can buy at a fish store would work if you haven't already tried that. Why would you want to take it off?

They always look ******.
God****itttttt. I just lugged the new 50 into my house just to find a hairline crack in the bottom glass. I'm honestly ready to give up on this already. I'm feeling very discouraged. So far this whole project has been nothing but a waste of time, money and effort not to mention a huge headache.

Sorry to hear it. I'm behind you if that helps ;-). Also, based on my experience the tank itself is a minimal cost to the overall project...I know that doesn't help much but it's all I got. This probably doesn't help either but I haven't seen someone have so many issues with cracked tanks...my tank is over 30 years old and sat outside under a porch for 6 years on large river rock...and it no leaks or cracks. I think your experience is an exception not the rule...sorry. Stay strong!!!

You have the full support of AA! Don't let a slight crack get in the way of having an awesome set up!! Just leak test the 60 gallon for 3 days, sell/trade/keep the 50, silicon it and it should be good as new. I had a tremendous amount of set-backs, from ruining my stand to messing up my sump, and everything in between! I tried putting it off and blocking out the failure, but eventually I picked myself up and got it done and you'll feel so accomplished afterwards! Don't give up, pursue this dream of yours. (y)

That's not the biggest issue. I bought the 50 brand new from Petsmart so I can bring it back and exchange it today but these tanks are so heavy for me to lift. They barely fit in my car and I have like 6 steps in the front of my house. It's just very frustrating. I wanted to be well on my way into the cycle by now and all I have is a couple massive empty tanks on the floor in my hallway which I can't even move.

NicoleIsStoked said:
That's not the biggest issue. I bought the 50 brand new from Petsmart so I can bring it back and exchange it today but these tanks are so heavy for me to lift. They barely fit in my car and I have like 6 steps in the front of my house. It's just very frustrating. I wanted to be well on my way into the cycle by now and all I have is a couple massive empty tanks on the floor in my hallway which I can't even move.

Take a deep breath, you'll get there. I've got a 125 on my lanai that I can't do anything with due to funds. So, I sit here looking at my 55 just thinking about a 125 with a black background with black sand, etc. and wonder if I'm ever going to get there....

What is the difference between sea salt and reef crystals?

I don't think anyone has answered this yet so I'll take a crack at it and I'm assuming you're referring to Instant ocean salt mixes.
If you're just doing fish only, use the Sea Salt. If you're going to be doing corals, go with the Reef Crystals. The Reef Crystals has more additives, higher calcium content, etc and is made for Reefs.

:lol: Call up one of your friends and say "hey, can you come and help me with my soon to be reef obsession? I would really appreciate if you could help me lift some tanks, etc. as I am discouraged. I'll let you pick out a fish/coral when it's ready if you want!" Okay...maybe not exactly like that...but you get the point!

:lol: Call up one of your friends and say "hey, can you come and help me with my soon to be reef obsession? I would really appreciate if you could help me lift some tanks, etc. as I am discouraged. I'll let you pick out a fish/coral when it's ready if you want!" Okay...maybe not exactly like that...but you get the point!

A six pack has a tendency to motive people to help too.

I believe I speak for the majority of the male population when I say that batting eyelashes is an unfair weapon. We have no defense. When the promise of beer and/or pizza is included, we don't even mind the unfair advantage you feminine types have.
No rule says you can only have a tank that you can lift alone!

I believe I speak for the majority of the male population when I say that batting eyelashes is an unfair weapon. We have no defense. When the promise of beer and/or pizza is included, we don't even mind the unfair advantage you feminine types have.
No rule says you can only have a tank that you can lift alone!

:lol: So funny how you said that in a scientific type of way...like "according to my calculations." You definitely have a fair argument right there. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for all the help guys. After closer inspection the 50 is not cracked. It's actually just a string of silicone branching out from the corner. I think I have someone coming to buy the 60 too. Hopefully. I picked up reef crystals instead of sea salt because I got a better deal on it. Is that okay? I may wind up doing corals down the road anyways. Never know. Tomorrow I will be hunting for a background and filling up the tank.

I think I touched on reef crystals earlier. They just contain trace elements that inverts need. More natural conditions IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom