low magnesium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianf40us

Aquarium Advice Activist
I test my Magnesium and it is testing with a salifert test kit low around 1200 and 1230. i dosed the tank with aquavitra IONS and it does not seem to be raising the magnesium any. I dosed the tank twice now. I am now thinking that since i am using Seachem Reef Salt that the salifert is not testing properly or does the test kit not matter.

The reason i think my magnesium is low is because i have been treating my water with aquavitra 8.4 and my alkalinity is at 5 but my ph is at 8.1. the bottle of 8.4 says that if my ph does not go up past 8.2 to check my magnesium.

What does everyone think?

I got a bad batch of Seachem Reef Salt that was low for magnesium (around 1,100) that my LFS ended up crediting me for, after confirming my readings with their own test kit. It taught me to always check a new bucket of salt before using it!

should i just dose the water daily with magnesium until i get the appropriate amount of magnesium.

I also noticed a green slimy/stringy/snotty type of algae growing on my rocks. the algae looks to have some air bubbles in it. What could this be?

You can dose the tank daily with magnesium (it's safe to increase 15 ppm a day) until you get to 1300 or so, but if your PWC water has a low magnesium level it will work against you.

I have not checked my PWC water but if it proves to be low cant i just measure the magnesium after the water change and add it to the tank?

Also is the magnesium leading to my ph being 8.1 and not going up?

Also what is that algae i am talking about in the previous reply?

What exactly is aquavitra IONS ? Is it supposed to be a magnesium supplement? To raise your mag levels, simply dose epsom salts. Use this Reef Chemistry calculator to determine how much to dose.

I don't know what aquavitra 8.4 is supposed to be, but there is nothing that will raise pH to a certain level and keep it there. The more you add, the higher it will push your alk. Sodium carbonate (baked baking soda) will raise your pH and also raise alk. 8.2 is fine for your pH.

The green slimy stiff on your rocks sounds like cyano. Usually caused by poor water quality/high nutrients.

I just got went through a cycle about a month ago is this why i have high nutrient levels in my tank. My nitrates are around 15. I cut the lighting cycle back to help combat the algae.

Aquavitro is a seachem line. It is brand new stuff. will this algae go away as my tank establishes itself. I am starting to get a neon green algae growing which i think is the start of coraline.

Back
Top Bottom