Low PH In the start of the cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garmes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We are starting our saltwater tank backup since our move from Maryland to Minnesota. We decided to tackle a reef tank this go around. We are experiencing low PH 7.8. We started the tank 5 days ago and introduced 7lbs of live rock 2 days ago adding on to our 30lbs base rock. In our past experience we have never seen low PH. Does anyone know why the PH would be low?

Low pH is quite common during the cycle period. Quite often it will run amok with the chemistry in general. If you are experiencing any ammonia or heavy nutrient, the acids produced will pull down on the pH. Depending on your set up, covered tanks experience low pH from trapped CO2 and/or poor circulation.

Cheers
Steve

yes...dont worry....mine started low too and slowly went up...Im almost where i need to be and mine has been up for over a month

Steve brings up a good point. Do you have a glass cover? This will trap gasses and cause the PH to fall.

I do not have a cover. The lighting is on legs and the tank is open. I heard that it would have to be that way for coral life. I appreciate everyones comments.

Back
Top Bottom