LR Can't touch Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugrad2005

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've heard rumors that live rock isn't supposed to touch the sand bed. I was wondering what the reasoning was behind this and wanted to know if it was true.

Thanks folks.

-Dan

I have never heard that, in fact, I have always heard to put the rock on and in the sand so that some of the inhabitants of the rock will travel to the sand and help aid in making the sand live...Sounds like bogus information to me. The rocks in the ocean are on the sand? hmmm...

One of the reasons people suggest to elevate the rocks on some kind of support structure (usually pvc pipes) is to keep sand burrowing creatures like certin fish and shrmp from burrowing down under some rocks and causing the rocks to shift. Shifting rocks could fall hurting a fish/coral OR even worse it would strke a glass panel and break it.

Now with that said I dont sit my rock on my bottom glass but more or less bury it down in the sand bed a couple inches.

I think the main reason for either elevating the rock, or sinking it in the sand is to prevent dead areas in the sand bed, where it would be likely for large amounts of hydrogen sulfide to build up. I sink mine in the sand, very close to the glass. In the ocean the rock is also buried under the sand for several feet.

I think everyone is right, and would like to add I have equally heard it is to keep plenty of surface area open on the sandbed. Not logical to me either!

Just as a personal note from me...my eel is having no difficulty burrowing under the rocks...lifting those that were off the bed...it is becoming quite problematic.
My advice is to consider what type of fish you will have as well. I am still looking for the putty to secure my rocks and corals.

Back
Top Bottom