Microbubbles being sent into tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmaxwell538

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there

We just set up our 16g saltwater tank a week ago. Live rock and live sand as well. Put in a protein skimmer and we thought we had it set up properly but now it's sending out a large quantity of microbubbles into the tank. Any thoughts on how to stop this?

Thanks!

Microbubbles are formed from a more 'violent' breaking of the surface of the water, at least in this case. My solution to this is putting cheap panty hose over the return pipe/area to break it up some. This should solve the issue. If it won't stay on by itself, a rubberband will do for this.

The pantyhose would go on the returns into the tank correct? Not the protein skimmer? Also, the returns are oscillating does that effect anything? Thanks for your help!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If the bubbles are coming from the skimmer, put it on the skimmer. In terms of an oscillating return, I wouldn't wrap it up or obstruct it in any way.

Amazingly enough, the microbubbles have totally subsided this evening!

Okay woke up this morning and they returned. The level in the skimmer was down as well. So I readjusted the levels. Bummer!

Back
Top Bottom