Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ok that makes sense. Could I do a hermit crab and one fish at the beginning safely?

The fish I plan to stock with are:

1 clownfish
1 wrasse
1 foxface
2 others that we haven't decided on.

Aside from that would like a few snails a shrimp and a hermit crab.

Any input on order?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #32
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

A foxface won't fit in a 29...look around liveaquaria.com to see what'll fit in your tank.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 AM   #33

I know the lo one wouldn't but previously on live aquaria I could have sworn I saw one that would. Now that I'm looking again I can't find it so perhaps I was mistaken...

Old 08-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #34

So gents(and ladies), I think my cycle is officially complete. Apparently I hadn't been shaking the nitrate bottle quite enough previously, as when I shook it up for a while tonight and tested my nitrates are well over 20ppm. Ammonia zero and nitrite zero, perfect ph and salinity.

I will do two 50% water changes over the next week to get nitrates in check then plan to get the first fish this weekend!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #35

Saturday is Fish Day

Did a 35% change tonight, got my nitrates down to about 10-20ppm(yeah they were really high once I figured out I had to shake the crap out of the bottle), PH is at 8.1ish, Salinity at 1.24, Nitrites zero, ammonia effectively zero(API test kits suck, but the water out of my tank looks more yellow then fresh saltwater mix).

I will do another 35-40% change tomorrow night, check all the levels Saturday morning and then head out to the lfs, which happens to be about 45 minutes away .

Just to be extra cautious I may bring some sample water and ask the LFS to test it before I purchase some critters, but i'm thinking either one fish and one shrimp or two small fish. With all the bio load i've been dumping into this thing for the past few weeks without realize it was actually cycled i'm pretty confident it can handle it.

Thanks for all the help, i'll post some pictures of the the new tank inhabitants once I pick em!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm totally new to salt water/reef tanks...still trying to cycle mine properly. I recently brought home a livestock from a store and out of curiosity tested the water it was sent home with. I was shocked to see nitrates and phosphates through the roof!!! Mine have been hovering over the lower end on the scale but theirs were dark red and dark blue. It was from a tank with good looking coral and fish too, just makes u wonder.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

And as far as stocking, I have two friends with the very pretty red scarlet colored shrimp(don't know the tech name), but they hide all the time. I've heard the skunk cleaner shrimp have much bigger personalities and they are still a very good looking addition to your tank with the two big red stripes down their backside & the giant white antenna.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:52 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

I set up my tank about 45 days ago. I never saw nitrites once or even nitrate for that matter. I think your situation is fine. Look for diatom bloom and fall followed by green algae(that's what I experienced after week two testing all 0s across the board)
Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #39

Yeah never saw nitrite. I'm thinking my cycle was different because I used a combination of live sand, and halfway cured live rock.

We will find out tomorrow if the fish live or die, I'm very nervous but also optimistic.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was the same with the nitrites, then had a high nitrate spike, did a WC and was fine after that, just added my first fish this past weekend after a month is to my first tank! I added 4 chromis, only cause if it went south I wouldn't be out a bunch of $$$$, sad to say I went about it that way but didn't wanna take the risk, and so far it has been great, and watching them school is awesome!

Tags
cycle, fish, fishless, fishless cycle, nitrite, nitrites

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com