minimum salt mixing time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am trying to get my nitrates to 0 and all I have is a 5 gallon bucket and one pump to mix with. What is the minimum time I can get by with on mixing. I normal mix for about 24 hours but I noticed after a few hours the water in the bucket is pretty clear. I'm using IO salt and distilled water.

Also could I get by with 4 gallons of tap water? I know I shouldn't but I have the last 4 gallons of distilled mixing and it will be tomorrow before I can.go buy more :)

I mix 5-10 gallons at a time and when I cant see salt anymore I test it and thats about it lol. Usually within a hour. Im not saying its right or wrong but I havent noticed any problems. If my salinity happens to get low in my tank I have even thrown salt in my sump (small amounts) without any problem.

I mis 5 gallons at a time and when I cant see salt anymore I test it and thats about it lol. Usually within a hour. Im not saying its right or wrong but I havent noticed any problems. If my salinity happens to get low in my tank I have even thrown salt in my sump (small amounts) without any problem.

Yeah I went ahead and done another change. I'm using a large needle wheel pump from a skimmer so it mixes really well imo . I also started another batch with tap water that I dosed heavily with a tap water conditioner that removes chlorine, and detoxifies cloramines and heavy metals. I'm just worried about it causing a problem with algea or diatoms

Back
Top Bottom