Mixing water for water change question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
When using the powerhead to circulate the water, should I allow air to flow through the powerhead or no air (no bubbles?)

And what is the purpose of circulating the water for 24hrs? Does it take that long for the salt to mix with the water?

Yes on the aeration.

Overnight is just a good amount of time to allow the saltwater to mix thoroughly and balance itself out. It's too harsh otherwise.

Um when I mix my salt I do it in 5 gallon Culligan water jugs, I can not put a powerhead into the jug as the mouth is to small. Now does it mater if I dont use a power head? I always let it sit for 24 hours before I use it. I also put a cap on the jug and roll it on the floor to mix the salt. basically should I be using a power head?

I use a 50 gal tub with a pump off an old wet/dry and an air stone. Tubs are fairly cheap at Home Depot.

You don't need to use one, just make sure you mix it very thoroughly the night before and again just before you add it. Your method of rolling it around should aerate it quite nicely.

See again I learn something... I honestly didnt know I had let the water sit for 24 hours. Man,am I looking for trouble or what? One thing I did learn was I personally buy my ro water from the lfs and for some reason I went and checked the salinity before I put it in the tank good thing I did as the meter was pegged out! Over 1.30! I bought 15 gal like that. So I ened up mixing it with tap water! Ugh kinda defeats the purpose of ro huh? Thanks ! Sue

Back
Top Bottom