moonlighting hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SALTY72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
wondering which hours people are running led moon lights? all night? certain hours? half the night?

Yup, I do the one-or-the-other thing. Bought one of those cool powerstrips at Foster's And Smith that do that for you automatically.

Me too on the 24/7 thing. But now that you mentioned it - - I'm wondering if I should cyle'm to come on for a short period just before the others go out, and off just after the others come on.

Wonderin' if that'll extend their life. Heck that's 10 -12 hours EVERY day that they're not being used up. 4,380 hours saved (based on 12 hrs).

Could it matter?

well led is rated for 100000 hours of useage. that is like 10 years. i think. so if you would want to add another 5 yeatrs to that you could but they are so cheap that it is almost not worht the money you spend on a timer. i think you can get the white ones for like $1 each.

are moonlights necessary? I had always found the ocean becomes very very dark when you descend just a few feet down at night. Just was wondering why all nigh, i can understand the morning/evenings as that is like a gentle wakeup. any info, or links to info would be appreciated

ambulocetus said:
are moonlights necessary? I had always found the ocean becomes very very dark when you descend just a few feet down at night. Just was wondering why all nigh, i can understand the morning/evenings as that is like a gentle wakeup. any info, or links to info would be appreciated

But aren't the majority of aquarium fish living in that top couple of feet of the ocean anway? Usually on or near a reef? So they would be more used to the light.

24/7 also.. I figure there's more chance of one goin pop if they keep switching on and off, plus 100,000 hours continuous use is plenty for me.

I'm too lazy to simulate the moons cycle.. although I do dim them occasionally.

Mine are on 24/7 as well. I have two one watt coralife LEDs and might add a third.

thanks for the info, i run my from 10pm to 6am. Natural sun light comes in my house at 6am. Seems to work well!!

Lando why a third?

I am thinking of adding a thrid to balance things out a bit. I have an Oceanic reef ready tank and the overflow is off-set from the left side. It is right where I would want my moonlight placed for even distribution of light. Instead, it just lite up my overflow so I had to move it towards teh end. Having a third one would fill out the middle a bit more.

just about 4 hours at night... and im working on getting a "SmartHome" controller. which will allow the moonlights to auctually follow the lunar cycle. which i have heard can aide in the breeding of fish, as they breed to the lunar cycle...

I run my moonlights on a timer that is opposite of the actinics & PC or MH bulbs. The moonlights do no good when any of the regular bulbs are on & also read where the fish & coral need a short dark enviroment as in nature. I have my moonlights come on 1 hr after all the lights go out @ night & shut down 1 hr before the lights come back on. For example:
PC actinics - 12:00pm to 12:00am
Metal halides - 2:00pm to 10:00pm
Moonlights - 1:00am to 11:00am

Back
Top Bottom