moving a tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

personal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A couple of years ago I was single and moved into a small condo and I'm proud to say one of the first things I did was get a swt. So years later I'm married and about to find a new home, but I'm not sure how to handle moving my tank. It's a 55 gallon tank with live rock, sand and only a few fish (The last year I haven't been into the hobby). Anyone have any advice on moving my tank, or should I just sell the live stock and make live easier?

A couple of years ago I was single and moved into a small condo and I'm proud to say one of the first things I did was get a swt. So years later I'm married and about to find a new home, but I'm not sure how to handle moving my tank. It's a 55 gallon tank with live rock, sand and only a few fish (The last year I haven't been into the hobby). Anyone have any advice on moving my tank, or should I just sell the live stock and make live easier?

If your not really into the hobby then I'd see about selling off your stuff. It'll be alot easier for you. However, if you decide that you would like to keep them and maybe get back into it, moving the tank is pretty easy. If the location your moving to is fairly close (1-4 hours) then this is what you have to do:

-Mix up a fresh batch of SW at your new place, approx 25-30 gallons worth the night before.

-Place the fish you have in individual bags, place the bags in a foam cooler with a heat pad (the hand warmer things you get for gloves) if it is cold in your area, if its around 70ish degrees you won't need one.

-Place your LR in 5 gallon buckets with tank water to keep them submerged. When removing the LR try not to stir up the substrate too much. (5g buckets are 2 bucks at Lowes)

-Drain the tank down to the point that there is just enough to keep the substrate submerged. Keep at least 50% of the water you drained in some plastic jugs.

-Break down the tank, pumps, skimmers,etc. and have a buddy help you move the tank (it'll be a little heavy because of the wet sand)

-Once you get the tank/stand setup and your equipment reinstalled at the new house start refilling the tank with the SW you saved in the jugs.

-Add your LR

-Refill the rest of the tank with your fresh SW that you mixed the night before. If there isn't enough, use the water from the buckets you put your LR in.

- Let it run for about an hour or so and check the parameters (SG, PH, Temp), also check for leaks as moving tanks can sometimes pop seals

- Then reacclimate your fish, release them and your done!

If your going farther then 1-4 hours and were talking days, then you'll need to use the heating pads in the cooler and you'll also need keep an eye on the amm levels in the bags and may need to dose Prime to make the trip safe for your fish.

Last edited:
If you do decide to move the tank follow Krypt's advice for a short trip. However I would remove the substrate and get new substrate for the new location. It will all get stirred up during the move and release a bunch of built up nasties. It would be much better to have new substrate.

Also, when lifting and moving the tanl, keep it level at all times. It would be best to slide or lift it onto a piece of plywood and tape it to the plywood to reduce the chance of causing a stress fracture when moving it.

Good luck.

thanks

i don't plan on moving far, but i think i should just sell off the fish. it will be a lot easier. long time ago i moved and i had a small fresh water tank and found that to be a pain. it seems there are a lot more that i have to consider with a salt water tank.

I'll have to admit looking at this forum and has gotten me back into the hobby.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom