Moving live rock from an old system to a newly cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shibbync777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone. I currently have a FOWLR 55 gallon saltwater setup. I have 45 pounds of live rock in there. I am upgrading to a new 75 gallon tank. I currently have 30 pounds of live rock to start the cycling process, which is going well. I plan to transfer the live rock from my 55 gallon to my 75 gallon once the 75 has finished cycling.

My concern is that in the 55 gallon I have been experiencing nitrate problems. It has been around 40ppm. Never above that. Once the 75 gallon tank has cycled will adding the live rock from the 55 gallon cause the nitrates to go up? Will the 75 need to cycle again after adding the live rock from the 55 gallon?

:ermm:

Thank you ahead of time for your help!!

no is your answer to both questions. Nitrates are most likely due to insufficient water changes, overstocking, overfeeding, or if your 55 is just coming out of the initial cycle. How long has the 55 been up? what kind of livestock? feeding routine?

In the 55 do you have sand or crushed coral? Some foods will add nitrates as well it just isn't how much or how often you feed. Are you using RO water?

You might have an increase in nitrates carried over from the other rock, but it shouldn't last if you figure out where they are coming from in the old tank.

I have live sand on the bottom of the 55 I dud not use ro water it was my first tank it's been running for a year and a half now. In the 55 i have a small blue hippo tang, orange spotted blenny, 2 clowns, Coco worm, and a coral beauty. I have snails and hermits also. When i feed i get water from the tank and i put a half cube of mysis and a half cube of formula 2. I slowly pour it in as the eat it. I just bought an ro di unit for the 75. When i started the 55 i was still learning everything and i should have spent more money on the equipment i know that now.

I have live sand on the bottom of the 55 I dud not use ro water it was my first tank it's been running for a year and a half now. In the 55 i have a small blue hippo tang, orange spotted blenny, 2 clowns, Coco worm, and a coral beauty. I have snails and hermits also. When i feed i get water from the tank and i put a half cube of mysis and a half cube of formula 2. I slowly pour it in as the eat it. I just bought an ro di unit for the 75. When i started the 55 i was still learning everything and i should have spent more money on the equipment i know that now.

Back
Top Bottom