Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Here's what I got, still need the hose but I don't kno pump placement yet so ill hold off on getting that and I still need to order return nozzles so I don't have the return extended yet just the barb,90,T,and ball valves in. Also got my pump hooked up to a union and check valve with a barb so that's good to go. Oh ya and my Wavemaker for $50 haha. One frag tank is almost operational
I'm excited for you! Now I'm going to page one to read the whole thread.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not much excitement yet but here in the next few weeks all these pieces will start to come together and then we'll be talkin haha

Old 02-11-2013, 01:09 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Not much excitement yet but here in the next few weeks all these pieces will start to come together and then we'll be talkin haha
Did you go by the tractor supply store? I think this is a great build! It's hard for me to visualize the finished product because I really have never seen anything I can use as a reference. I'm excited to see this come together! Hopefully I'll be able to buy some Keds Redds and blue clove polyps from you soon.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:16 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

I haven't went personally but I've browsed their site. The best I've found is there oval bin but its 25" and the stand is 24".. I guess I could just add another piece of wider plywood for the half inch over hang on either side though. It is gonna be a pretty unique setup though lol. Three display tanks all plumbed through a sump/fuge with three different containers as compartments.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I haven't went personally but I've browsed their site. The best I've found is there oval bin but its 25" and the stand is 24".. I guess I could just add another piece of wider plywood for the half inch over hang on either side though. It is gonna be a pretty unique setup though lol. Three display tanks all plumbed through a sump/fuge with three different containers as compartments.
What about something like this?

http://www.usplastic.com/mobile/item...categoryid=574
Old 02-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not quite large enough. Plus they are only 9" deep max. I've found 30 gallon containers I can use but I would really like to take full advantage of the space and get atleast 50 gallons on each side of the stand and then my currect sump will be replaced with a new 20 long that will have a overflow section with bubble trap and then about 80% of the rest will be the central return chamber which I have an ATO sitting in my BRS cart waiting for the group buy to start along with many other items
Old 02-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Not quite large enough. Plus they are only 9" deep max. I've found 30 gallon containers I can use but I would really like to take full advantage of the space and get atleast 50 gallons on each side of the stand and then my currect sump will be replaced with a new 20 long that will have a overflow section with bubble trap and then about 80% of the rest will be the central return chamber which I have an ATO sitting in my BRS cart waiting for the group buy to start along with many other items
The problem with the 50 gal Rubbermaid bins you talked about earlier was that the sides bowed out from lack of support, right? Is it possible and do you have room to build a support for them to sit in? Maybe something out of plywood? I'm just brainstorming. If my ideas are bad just tell me. Lol!
Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

No not bad at all lol my original solution was building a 2x1 skeleton for them or just double them up since you can buy the 6 for $90 but the issue which I think I skimmed over quickly on here earlier was when molded they have small corner legs causing the bottom to bow making the seams give especially if I had rock in it. This is just what a few hydroponics growers have found but the idea is very similar so I'm not even wasting my time. I think I will just have to settle with the 30 gallon tubs or drill two 55g aquariums which I was trying to avoid. Plus side is even with the 30 gallon tubs they are 1 more gallon in water volume then my frag tanks since they are only 29 if I remember correctly.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've setup several frag and general coral tanks for a reef shop about 10 years ago that were basically banks of 4 40 longs. The bottom 40 was the sump with a refugium and the three 40s above all shared the same sump. They worked out surprisingly well. A shared sump system sounds complicated but in practice it's the simplest system I've tried. It let's you get away with having to deal with only one large skimmer, one mechanical filter sock, one set of chemical filtration, one volume of tank water to test and dose, etc... You get to spend a lot more time handling corals and less time on everything else. I'm so glad you decided to go this rout.

I will say that quarantining new fish becomes non optional if you want to avoid illness. Most illnesses will spread to all the systems with just one infected fish. That may not matter if you aren't planning to add fish to the other tanks. If you don't add fish you won't believe the amount of pods you'll see in the frag tanks! It gets pretty crazy.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya I'm not adding any more fish. Maybe just like some type of grazer like a couple more rainfords gobies, one for each tank

Tags
build, frag, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com