Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Multiple tanks to one sump/refugium?

I would like to install two 90 Gallon tanks to one sump/refugium.
Is this possible and is it a good or bad idea?

With this setup could I still incorporate a top off device in the sump for both tanks?

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to setting up two 90s versus one 150 gallon tank?

I am new at this so thanks for your patience.

Tim

Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. I'd just set up an appropriately large sump to accommodate both tanks.

I'd personally set up 1 large 150gal though. Many large tangs require a 100gal or more, and would be happier in the large tank. Also, you'd have 1 less return pump to buy, less plumbing to fiddle with.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The only bad thing about it is that if there is parasites or disease then all tanks will be affected. Seperate would be better from that standpoint.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, if you're new at this, you've got some ambition. I commend you for it.

It is possible with a little creative plumbing. The drains are easy. Just run both drains down to the sump. I'd use one pump for the returns and split the return line with a tee. Put a ball valve on both output sides of the tee to balance the return flow between the tanks.

An ATO system should still work.

Two 90s over One 150g

Pros: More space, the ability to keep two different styles of tanks.

Cons: More complicated plumbing (minor), need to oversize the sump to handle the overflow of two tanks when the power is off.

You'd probably have to keep the tanks close together to work with one sump too. I think balancing the water flow would be difficult if the tanks are on opposite ends of the house.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #5

The tanks would be side by side. I guess I am trying to invision how the ATO would work in the sump. I guess it would not matter which tank is low? THe ATO would kick in and water then would go to both tanks with the one tank requiring more water retaining more water?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

with a sump, the display tanks are always at a constant level. the only thing that gets low on water is the sump. This is where the ATO goes, and what gets topped off.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #7

As I understand the top off is of fresh water which keeps the salinity of the tank in acceptable range. If tank A is running lights that cause a faster evaporation than tank B will the salinity values of tank A, tank B, and the sump be the same in this configuration?
Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon setting beside it both plumbed into one Sump system. I use a a HoB overflow on the 20 gallon and I return the water with a Fluval 305. The one thing that is most important with a multi tank system is to make sure your overflow can handle your return or you could pump your large tank into your smaller one causing SIGNIFICANT flooding! lol trust me I know. I caught it just in time. One advantage to this method is the larger the amount of saltwater the more forgiving the water conditions will be.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:48 PM   #9

Thanks for the warning. My plans are to start off with one 90 gallon and in the future add a secon 90. I am looking to also purchase a used 75 gallon to set up for the sump.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

there will be no difference in salinity between the two tanks. Basically connecting them both to one sump would make it into 1 big system. The water would freely travel through the system and equalize in salinity and temperature and such. The ATO will help keep salinity constant throughout the system, and will keep sump levels steady

Tags
multiple tanks, refugium, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com