Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #31
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Mine were kind of lethargic for the first day or so but they are kind of perky now if you can call them that. They are not the most active of fish. Woke up to this morning and they were swimming around the tank. I really like these spotted ones. They ate good yesterday. I`m attempting to try to find some pods to keep in the tank in the LR so they can snack when they want. I had a chance to get 4 but I said let me make sure of two first.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

I tried to look up the species for you, but I'm having no luck. That's another iffy factor. The other ones that I can special order are the kudas (tank bred). At least I would have a heads up on the species and know if they have special care requirements. I'm thinking about heading to the LFS now and picking up 2. I would much rather have the yellow kudas, but these guys are healthy and I've watched them eat. The kudas I'm looking at only get 6 inches; which is good. I'm not sure how big these guys get.

Old 01-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

I made up my mind, so I thought....I got to the LFS and was ready to say "bag em up". They told me they're putting in an order for the yellow ones tomorrow and they should be here Tuesday. So I'm gonna wait and see what the yellow ones look like, if they're healthy, eating frozen etc....My tank seems pretty stable. My xenia looks like it's doing pretty good also. Hooray! It's still not pumping, though. One of the patches was balled up, and when I turned on the actinic bulbs, it started pumping, but they're not fully extended. The other 3 patches are fully extended, but not pumping...wierd. But they all seem healthy. My zoas are doing great too! They look really groovy when just the actinics are on. They turn this flourescent green color.
So it looks like the seahorse addition is stalled for another couple days...Oh well. I'd rather have the bright yellow ones, so I guess it's worth the wait if they turn out to be healthy and eating frozen. That's all for now
Old 01-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Can't wait to see pics of the seahorses.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:43 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got new batteries for the camera. Two sets, just in case. I'll def be taking pics and posting them. I can't wait either!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think today may finally be the day!!!!! My LFS got the new ponies in Thursday night. I went there yesterday before work to see what they had. I am sooooo glad I waited for this shipment!!!! The new ones they got are gorgeous! He put a sign on the tank "Do not sell seahorses". He said that I have first dibs on them. I'm going with two pair. They seem to have hooked up with mates already. I watched them for about an hour yesterday. I want to make sure all of them are eating, and there are no changes in their health and activity. I'm leaving in about an hour to go check them out. Wish me luck!!!
p.s. I'll be taking pics as soon as I get them acclimated. I figure, if I get them today, I should have pics downloaded, sized, and posted by tomorrow. Any suggestions on acclimation methods??? I was thinking a slow drip over 2 hours.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

I acclimate Hippocampus' by floating the bags for 30mins and then drip for 4hrs together.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got the seahorses!! I got some pics. I'm waiting for my honey to size them for me so I can post them. They're still acclimating. I figure this will take up most of my evening. I read that you shouldn't net them. Should I try to scoop them up in a cup?
Old 01-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

I usually transfer them by hand. The exposure to air for the split second shouldn't be detrimental.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #40
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I scooped mine up with my hand also. I also agree with James to float them first to get temp right first then acclimate them by drip. I `m glad for you. Cant wait to see. Mine are doing great. They love frozen Mysis.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pics, seahorse, seahorses, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com