My 45 Gal. Reef Build - First Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok per my most trusted LFS it is upside-down. So I will fix that tonight when I put the new coral I bought in the tank. :). Yup got a nice coral while I was there. I will post pics when I can.

No, I think it is a type of candy cane. Along with building my DIY overflow box today, that is going to be one of my priorities, figuring out what all these corals are. LOL I have no trouble with the fish but for some reason, i have a hard time with the corals. Maybe because there are 2 Billion different ones. LOL

Got a good start on my DIY Overflow project this morning. If you are interested you can see progress pics at "Rich's DIY Overflow" in the DIY forum. We will see if it actually works when I am finished. LOL

Just a bit bummed this morning. Yesterday I saw a post on another forum for a 140 complete system. Guy wanted $850 for the works. All it would have needed was water and rock. Then, he said he was willing to trade for some electrical work. I jumped on it and started a conversation. On my drive home, I thought we had come to a deal over the phone only to get an e-mail later that evening saying someone else spoke up first so he was going to go with them. If they don't come through I am second in line but the deal definitely favors the person receiving the tank so I can't imagine the other guy wont go for it. :-(

Each day that goes by I am more thrilled with how my tank is progressing. It has been extremely stable from the get go and remains that way. Today, while doing my PWC and rearranging some corals, I found a frag that doesn't match anything I have in the tank. Got to love it. I have no idea where it came from but I will take it.

Today's parameters:
Temp 79
Salinity 1.0255
PH 8
Am 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Calcium 420
Alk 7 (125.3 kh)
Phosphate 0
Magnesium 1350

I am going to give it a couple of hours for all the corals to open up and then take another video to post. :)

Well you will have to wait on the new video until I get home and my new addition opens. :). Yup I picked up a nice sized Frogspawn. I have the feeling my clowns have been looking for something to host so I dropped the $30 and got something bigger than a Frag. We will see if they take to it.

First off, excuse me. You will see why when you watch the video. A lot of my corals (including my new frogspawn) were partially or totally closed but since my Fire Shrimp decided to be the star of the show at the beginning and end, I decided to go ahead and upload it. I will get another one this afternoon when everything is opened up. :)

Tank Update 10-29-11 - YouTube

Nice tank! Your doing a good job. You might want to keep an eye on your Alk it is a bit low. Ideally needs to be between 8-12.

Nice tank! Your doing a good job. You might want to keep an eye on your Alk it is a bit low. Ideally needs to be between 8-12.

Thanks. My Alk has stayed right about there the entire time. Never seems to change much at all. According to the info that came with my API test kit, it sould be between 5 and 7. Mine is always at 7. Also, my Monti is doing steller. When I put it in its final location a tiny piece broke off. I laid it on the rocks right behind the main coral and now it has encrusted the rocks after only 3 weeks.

:)...in the first part of the video, your emerald crab looks like he is challenging your fire shrimp to a duel...all the crab needed in his claw was a tiny sword :)

Beautiful tank.

Amazing build so far! Just finished reading through it and I have a few questions.

Is it fine to keep a tang in that size of a tank? How long will it be before you need a larger tank?

This is inspiring for another first timer, like myself, who is going to attempt a reef tank as well!

Back
Top Bottom