My 66G Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Albino

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

My name is Tim and I live in Melbourne Australia. I've been playing in saltwater tanks for about a year now and have finally got myself a decent setup.

It's a 66 Gal cube, the aqua-medic gramma all in one and so far it's going great. I'll post some pics so you can all have a look, I want honest opinions so I can make changes.

The cube is running a protein skimmer, filter sponge, bio beads, fainter floss to collect larger gunk, chemi-pure and gfo. My water is great as of now,

Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Cal. 480 (bit high maybe?)
Kh. 10
Phos. 0

This is with 0 water changes, it has been running about 3 1/2 weeks now post cycle. My only problem is temp, running 4 t5ho bulbs so close in to water it gets hot. Ordering chiller ASAP but money is tight as of now :(

Stock list is:

1 x Foxface (one spot)
2 x b&w faulse clowns (very young)
1 x leather coral
1 x bubble coral (found on rock a skeleton and it is now regrowing and bubbling up :) )

Anyway I won't ramble on, just want to say you guys are great! I've learned so much browsing your site and getting tips and advice. Thanks!

Anyway what u all really want... The pics!

image-4152509847.jpg

image-1548060007.jpg

image-224441680.jpg

image-544473040.jpg

If u want to know anything please ask!

Tank looks really good and your fish seem happy! I do see some algae- what kinda CUC you have in there? I would get a conch to help with the sandbed and some turbo snails to help with the algae on the rocks. Otherwise, you're golden!! :)

Yeah the CUC will be beefed up this weekend. At the moment I have 2 hermits, 3 snails but I have no idea what kind, there very small and seem to only come out from the rocks at night. The rocks are kinda clean but the sand is making me sad lol. I plan on getting watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo. Is it worth getting the shrimp this weekend or together? I want him to start turning over sand

Albino said:
Yeah the CUC will be beefed up this weekend. At the moment I have 2 hermits, 3 snails but I have no idea what kind, there very small and seem to only come out from the rocks at night. The rocks are kinda clean but the sand is making me sad lol. I plan on getting watchman goby/pistol shrimp combo. Is it worth getting the shrimp this weekend or together? I want him to start turning over sand

Just so you know, if you get a shrimp and watchman, the watchman will likely NOT do any sand sifting. My YWG never leaves the shrimps side, so he doesn't sift at all. From what I've read, seems like that's common. If you get just the goby, then he'll sift.

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the heads up. If I do get the pair is there something I could get to do the same job of turning over sand? I've got a good amount of flow so not to worried but it's nice to have pearly white sand lol.

Also ideas on show fish? I was thinking kole tang but worried my tank is to small. Thoughts?

Thanks beengirl :)

I have the pair, so to keep my sand clean I got 2 conchs. They works pretty good. That was just my solution to not having the goby sift.

Got the conch and half my sand is white and clean I also got 1 turbo who hasn't done a lot yet but he's only been in there 12 hours do I'll give him a chance. Thanks been girl!!

Also anyone else got any idea on the kole tang and there experience? Or maybe other ideas for my show fish? And how reef safe is a coral beauty? I hear mixed reports in them.

Also here's a better fts. The other was a week or so old :)

image-2113015828.jpg

I have several pistols paired with different gobies but no YWG. I do however have an Orangespot Diamond Head Goby that sifts excellent and does not try to pair with shrimp.

I had 2 sand shifting starfish and one of the wrasse. That keep my sandbed pretty clean

I think I'm gonna stick with my plan and get the pair. And I'll look into the starfish, I do have a baby starfish in my tank. Saw it on my snails shell yesterday but is almost invisible cos it's so small. I am assuming a free hitch hiker on my rock. Hope it's safe in there!!

Albino said:
Got the conch and half my sand is white and clean I also got 1 turbo who hasn't done a lot yet but he's only been in there 12 hours do I'll give him a chance. Thanks been girl!!

Also anyone else got any idea on the kole tang and there experience? Or maybe other ideas for my show fish? And how reef safe is a coral beauty? I hear mixed reports in them.

Also here's a better fts. The other was a week or so old :)

You're welcome!! I like how in the pic the circle right around the conch is clean. Haha!! I like to watch my conch, how they stick those stalk eyes out in different directions, and they'll stick their tongues waaaaayyyy out. And they can take really big steps. They're interesting to watch.

Yeah he's so cool! Great idea on him! Heres an after shot of the job he's done. And I'm assuming he's fine in the reef, I'm not even sure he can climb rocks lol.

image-471379643.jpg

reef lover said:
How is the conch. Is it really reef safe?

Yeah, conchs are reef safe. It's just a big snail kinda. Stays on the sandbed. It can "walk" over other shells and stuff, but can't crawl up side of rocks or on the glass.

Hmm. . I haven't really see any available in local pet store around here. Pretty interesting. Maybe I find a conch for my tank too

Oh and also, has anyone got input on my show fish? Kole tang to small for this tank? Suggestions?

I think it would be OK, but I've read reviews on LA that it picks on inverts and bullies fish and I've seen a youtube vid of him for some reason eating LPS corals so the guy took it out.

Oh ok, this I had not heard thank you. I'll be sure to add him last then to try and lower the chance of aggression.

And the conch is awesome! I'd recommend them for sure now I've seen them in action. Sand is a lot cleaner now :)

Albino said:
Oh ok, this I had not heard thank you. I'll be sure to add him last then to try and lower the chance of aggression.

And the conch is awesome! I'd recommend them for sure now I've seen them in action. Sand is a lot cleaner now :)

Yep, love my conch. They're some great cleaners!! :)

Back
Top Bottom