My first anemone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elitehunter1

Aquarium Advice Activist
What kind is it lol! It crawled around and has found it's favorite spot!

Attachments

• image-61092937.jpg
    image-61092937.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 272
Do you spot feed or? My crabs try to poach it's food here and there

I get frozen fish food(not sure what it is, I think shimp) and just stick my hand in the tank and make the food touch it's tentacles and wiggle it a bit, then it takes the food and eats it. I'm going to buy whole silverside fish though and just feed it half of one of those twice a week.

I believe it's Haitian Pink Tip Condy Anemone. It will move around until a spot to it's liking is found. It's aggressive.

It will feed on frozen food 2-3 tines a week in bits and pieces at a time. Large amount of food at once with cause stress.

Does this look similar. Lol

Attachments

• image-2331995188.jpg
    image-2331995188.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 209
Oh yes spot feed, but do not touch tentacles can sting bad!!
Look up YouTube on feeding"pink tip anemone videos.

Good luck!

What kind of lights do you have and how long has your tank been set up? If it is a seabae it looks bleached, but i really think it is a condy.

I had a condy once upon a time and that looks like theone I had.

It's very important that you have pristine water, an established tank and super lighting for them. I ended up returning mine after 2 months because I was afraid it would eat my fish. PLUS it can get huge and take over a tank like mine did. :)

My tank gets a ton of natural light. I only have one 48" artificial bulb I got from my lfs. The sunlight is sufficient correct?

I'm sorry thats not even close to what he's gonna need. People usually keep them under at least a 4 bulb fixture.

How big is your tank and how long has it been up? Do you have any corals?
Just curious to see what is living under your sunlight and fixture as a guide.

Do you have your tank set up in a window? Or are you doing something high tech to bring in the natural light, like skylights being channeled directly to the tank?

It's a 60 gallon. These are a couple other lil guys I aquired because they were too stubborn to come off the limited live rock my lfs had to offer. I'm not really sure what they are either.

I am curious about lighting, perhaps you could help me with that. In the natural reef habitat, it has only sunlight which isn't even direct depending on the depth of the water. So, if my tank gets a large amount of sunlight I guess I figured it would be good.??

Attachments

• image-3671792771.jpg
    image-3671792771.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 130
  • image-1659754131.jpg
    image-1659754131.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 149
You have polyps and kenya tree I believe it is.

The anenome is probably the biggest light hog you can find in a reef tank. lol The corals you have are very basic as far as lighting requirements. How long has that kenya tree been that size? usually those things grow like weeds! I have one in my Pico and its doubled in size in less than a month. I'd watch out for that one. hehe

The tank is set up in like a breakfast nook area where it has three windows that sorta angle around it. It's on the side of the house that catches a good amount of direct light. It causes quite a bit of algae, but between my snails and me being nerdy and finding it entertaining to clean it, I don't mind

I would say he has almost doubled in 3 or 4 weeks. Especially considering how much he shrunk down to when I first placed him in. He was probably less than a quarter of that size.

I didn't mean to sound harsh by the way. LOL I just had a bad experience with a nem and it kinda has me jaded. I ended up returning it because it caused me too much stress.
:-D

You should buy a shaving brush plant. They use nitrates and phosphates as well as light to grow. It might help your algae problem.

I would say he has almost doubled in 3 or 4 weeks. Especially considering how much he shrunk down to when I first placed him in. He was probably less than a quarter of that size.

That's a good sign. You could probably pick up some other low light corals if you have a coral friendly fish list. Zooanthids and mushrooms could really add some color. And would be good with your light most likely.

If you wanted to upgrade your lights to a more appropraite reef setting really cheap there are these

T5-HO Light

The nem would probably do much better with more lighting.

Back
Top Bottom