My hair algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bear85

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been having problems with hair algae, I found my problem and I believe it was my ro making 150 ppm so I did some filter
Changes and got it Down to 1 ppm ... I have done a couple water changes but this **** keeps growing longer but only in the sand ... I am scared to scoop it out because I know it's not a good Idea to disturb the sand to much ! Any help would be great makes a great tank look like crap.. My tang,hermit crabs and shrimp have done one hell of a job on the rocks and cleaned it up ! But not the sand

I don't know if that's hair algae doesn't really look like it. I'd syphon the sand bed and suck that out. Does the stuff on the rock syphon off easily?

Looks like Cyanobacteria to me.

Are you using ro/di water? How long are your lights on? Over feeding?

How's your water flow in that area. Not enough flow in an area can cause that. Plus it sounds like you might have solved the problem by changing your ro filters. Just give it some time, do a few larger water changes and it should clear up

It does look like a type of hair algae to me. And BTW hair algae LOVES water flow (probably why it grows on powerheads). That's how it gets it's nutrients.
If you can grab and pull it out like clumps of grass its a hair algae. Don't worry about the sand. A DSB (6"+) is hazzardous, but a shallow sand bed is often stirred by may things (fish, crabs, snails). I would shut the pumps off and gently pull it out, trying not to loose any into the rocks.
If it is slimy and gooey, then it is cyano and will need to be sucked out, but I don't think it is.

Awesome thanks ! I appreciate all the help! Did a good water change today and cleaned out what I could :) will my cleaning crew take
Care of the rest ? I have a fire shrimp, 10 hermit crabs and 4 conch ... How ever you spell it

Back
Top Bottom