Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #1181
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707
LA has them in stock.... May have to go that route.
Grab em while you can. They always sold out quickly while I was looking

Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #1182
Aquarium Advice Addict

Found an interesting article as to why we SHOULD feed our fish several times a day. Enjoy...

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-0...ture/index.php

Old 06-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #1183
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina View Post
Found an interesting article as to why we SHOULD feed our fish several times a day. Enjoy...

Feeding The Reef Aquarium, A New Paradigm - by Ronald L. Shimek - Reefkeeping.com
Good article ..thanks for sharing
I have always fed my tank 3-4 times a day,everyday..
The idea of feeding less nutritious foods is interesting ..
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #1184
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTMMWS
Good article ..thanks for sharing
I have always fed my tank 3-4 times a day,everyday..
The idea of feeding less nutritious foods is interesting ..
I do as well with frozen and more than that with seaweed. I get what they are saying about the less nutrition multiple times a day. Spread out the vitamins throughout the day rather than taking them all at once.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #1185
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, great article. And it does really make sense, where we wouldn't see the nutrient overload in our systems, if the food weren't so, for lack of a better term, nutritious. Allowing for more constant feedings. I've always fed a lot, according to most standards, feeling that my system and maintenance could handle it. And honestly, I can't remember my last outbreak of ich.....knock on wood. With minor exception my corals have always done really well too.
Reading all the problems constantly on this site, I truly feel lucky how my salt career has gone.
I will also start feeding my coral, every other feeding, at lights out.
Again, really enlightening article!!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #1186
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's ones more for those interested. It explains the effects magnesium has on our calcium and alkalinity levels in the aquarium.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/10/chemistry
Old 06-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #1187
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good timing Jodi, just ordered my Mag. Test kit on Thur. I've never tested it in 8 years, and was thinking my levels could be unbalanced.
When I first set up my 180, I thought by having a new refugium, that I really didn't need to do pwc's , if I supplemented. I did 2 changes in the first year, boy was I wrong! It never really got that bad, with only 4 fish, but I've since (4 months ago) went back to pwc's every week, trying to get the tank back to where it should be. This extended period of no pwc's is why I'm thinking that my levels have become unbalanced. Not sure though without a test kit.
I always have buffed and added Ca, but never considered what that was doing to other levels( just adding Ca.)
My problem with my Hydnophora is what got me to believe that maybe I'm unbalanced. It thrived for a year and took a turn for the worst.
I also ordered my first BRS 2-part on Thur. , mainly for the jugs and droppers, and will then be making my own. ccCapt. Helped me with the link to make your own, and seems like an economical, smart way to supplement Ca., Alk., and Mg. I will be acquiring the nec. parts for this as I use up the BRS 2-part.
Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but thanks for the article, very relevant to me right now!!
Old 06-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #1188
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flreefer
Good timing Jodi, just ordered my Mag. Test kit on Thur. I've never tested it in 8 years, and was thinking my levels could be unbalanced.
When I first set up my 180, I thought by having a new refugium, that I really didn't need to do pwc's , if I supplemented. I did 2 changes in the first year, boy was I wrong! It never really got that bad, with only 4 fish, but I've since (4 months ago) went back to pwc's every week, trying to get the tank back to where it should be. This extended period of no pwc's is why I'm thinking that my levels have become unbalanced. Not sure though without a test kit.
I always have buffed and added Ca, but never considered what that was doing to other levels( just adding Ca.)
My problem with my Hydnophora is what got me to believe that maybe I'm unbalanced. It thrived for a year and took a turn for the worst.
I also ordered my first BRS 2-part on Thur. , mainly for the jugs and droppers, and will then be making my own. ccCapt. Helped me with the link to make your own, and seems like an economical, smart way to supplement Ca., Alk., and Mg. I will be acquiring the nec. parts for this as I use up the BRS 2-part.
Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but thanks for the article, very relevant to me right now!!
Can I get that link? Lol
Old 06-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #1189
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Jodi, I'm somewhat technologically illiterate, and don't know how to add a link, but if you look in the Saltwater Aquaria portion of the site, it's under the heading BRS 2-part, started by me. It's a couple days old.
Cc also sent a link for suppliers of the materials that may be hard for us to find in Fla. Cc has really helped me out, and is pleasant with his advice, not arrogant. Guys had a marine tank for 25 years!!
Enjoy.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #1190
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think this is the one your looking for

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, 220 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com