Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #1261
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsardina View Post
yes it does. And calcium as well. It's like three for the price of one!!! Not only that- i've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the bio pellets. Look at carey for example- one tank is golden and another has had nothing change.

fixed.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #1262
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywhitney
so i just got done reading through this entire thread (over the last few days) and i have to say your tank is amazing! I'm getting ready to make the jump from FW to a reef tank so i can only hope my tank comes out a quarter as nice as yours. I know you've already said it a couple of times but i can't find which page its on, what type of LED's do you use?

How is everything with the store? Has business picked up?
On my personal tank I have ecoray 60D. At my shop I run TFT LEDs and metal halides. I can honestly say I would switch over my personal tank to TFT LEDs once I have 600$ to spare. I sell them all the time so I not only see how they do on my tanks at the shop- but thru customers tanks as well. Many people have had success with their sps corals using TFT LEDs.

Business has been good. Ran into some issues and plumbing on one of the FO tanks. But all is good now after some re-vamping and a move. Had to move store locations when I found out their was stray electricity running thru the WHOLE building. I literally walked into a small puddle one day (no where near the tanks) and got zapped. Tried it again (for scientific purposes and not because I'm Bart Simpson) and it happened again. We moved within a few weeks.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #1263
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keimaxbode
Wanted to say I'm still following, though I don't say anything because I'm new to the hobby and afraid I'll say something wrong, but you are one of my inspirations so please don't think what you post isn't appreciated.

Diana
Aww. Thanks. I blushed. I don't see my tank as that great tho. Always something to fix!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #1264
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Diana,..you should never be afraid to say or ask anything here or on any of these threads,..it's really the best way to get some answers to questions that may be bugging you and for people to get to know YOU,..99% of the people here are super cool and extremely helpful,... We all have our ups and downs ( me especially :-/ ) ,.but we all take the hobby very seriously and are more than willing to share thoughts and ideas ,..it's fun getting your own little thread going or following others,.. Pull up a chair and join right in.,.you are more than welcome !!!!
Jodi is really cool and funny too,..I also very much enjoy following along too... I enjoy the girls of the forum and their determination and grit,..it's very reassuring .
Agreed. Always but in- if you don't know- ask. It's the only way to learn!!!

Plus- when people respond to my threads- I try to make it a point to look at theirs! It's only fair after all.

To Dari: thank you sir! Lol. I am quite funny looking. :P. lol. And btw- most girls are made up of nothing but determination and grit. A certain song comes to mind... (insert musical accompany here) ANYTHING YOU CAN DO I CAN DO BETTER... I CAN DO ANYTHING BETYER THAN YOU... Lol. Jk. Thanks for following!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #1265
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell
You may have explained this already, and if you did, please just tell me, but what does this denitrifier do to make it eat nitrates, kill phosphates, and also replenish calcium?
The main ingredients in the denitrifier are calcium carbonate and granular elemental sulfur which produces anaerobic (sp?) bacteria which basically eats the nitrates and some phosphates. However, this process can take some time. The calcium carbonate (which is what coral uses to build their skeletons) also works as a buffer, along with oxygenation from high dripping, high flow areas, and filtration helps to remove and toxic gases that would be released from the sulfur. Also- because the water is pushed thru at such a low flow rate within the reactor, the water is charged with calcium before it re-enters the aquarium.

I'm not a scientist- but that was my take on it after long research on the topic. Please anyone- correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #1266
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina

The main ingredients in the denitrifier are calcium carbonate and granular elemental sulfur which produces anaerobic (sp?) bacteria which basically eats the nitrates and some phosphates. However, this process can take some time. The calcium carbonate (which is what coral uses to build their skeletons) also works as a buffer, along with oxygenation from high dripping, high flow areas, and filtration helps to remove and toxic gases that would be released from the sulfur. Also- because the water is pushed thru at such a low flow rate within the reactor, the water is charged with calcium before it re-enters the aquarium.

I'm not a scientist- but that was my take on it after long research on the topic. Please anyone- correct me if I am wrong. Thanks!
Ohh, so it's pretty much a calcium reactor and almost a trickle filter combined, that's really cool. So the anaerobic bacteria can survive the high calcium levels, interesting.. Seems like a great piece of equipment. Hope it works for you, I might have to make one if it goes well!
needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #1267
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Denitrifiers are pretty interesting creations. Thankfully they appear to be most effective on much larger systems than my 55...I need to keep all the DIY projects out of my head. All I do is spend money on my tanks and I still want to try out an algae scrubber. Still, all really cool.

You should show off pics of the tanks at your store btw. I've never seen REAL lfs tanks, only Petco or small petstore we only have 20 people who are interested in saltwater look at our cyanotanks for livestock tanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #1268
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank
Denitrifiers are pretty interesting creations. Thankfully they appear to be most effective on much larger systems than my 55...I need to keep all the DIY projects out of my head. All I do is spend money on my tanks and I still want to try out an algae scrubber. Still, all really cool.

You should show off pics of the tanks at your store btw. I've never seen REAL lfs tanks, only Petco or small petstore we only have 20 people who are interested in saltwater look at our cyanotanks for livestock tanks.
It seems to be working well so far- but too soon to tell. I can take pics tomorrow of the frag tanks. Got some cool stuff in there that I threaten my husband all the time that they will disappear. Lol
Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #1269
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank

Yes I agree Jodi,...let's see some pictures .
Old 07-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #1270
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well maybe that is a true statement, they MIGHT disappear after posting pictures and sending them across the country to us, your loyal thread following consumers!

Tags
20 gallon, 220 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com