My new 40b sw tank build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stouty6969

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I'm new to AA and I just started my 40b sw tank and was wondering if ppm could help me along and see if I'm doin everything right I just put in 40g of ro water and started to slowly put in my reef crystals (salt) and I'm about 1/3 done and I stopped for about a day and my water is cloudy and has little white rubbery particles in there and dont know where they came from if ne one could help my that would be awesome there will be pics up soon

Prob salt crystals that haven't dissolved, did you rinse the tank out with tap water before filling with ro water? Make sure you keep an eye on your salinity level, aim for 1.025 :) if you have a filter, you could run it to speed up the clearing of water:) also make sure you have a master test kit so you can test your chemical levels

negligent_inmate said:
Prob salt crystals that haven't dissolved, did you rinse the tank out with tap water before filling with ro water? Make sure you keep an eye on your salinity level, aim for 1.025 :) if you have a filter, you could run it to speed up the clearing of water:) also make sure you have a master test kit so you can test your chemical levels

+1 so true
Just give it a day or two.....
Hmmm makes me think about getting into a 40b ;-)

To be honest, I seen a 40b at petc 2 days ago for the first time.. If I wasn't already in the middle of a build I woulda picked one up in a heartbeat, great dimensions for scaping and corals

Yeah!! I'm in the process of setting up my 40b sw!!!!!! :) 4 days into it. Just waiting for it to cycle. :)

Well I rinsed it out with spring water and then let it dry then put the ro water in was that a bad thing or em I okay with that? Now if I run a sump do I need a filter for on top of tank or just in sump I'm diy sump I have both a 10g and 20g which would be better for a 40b? And I'm not starting the cycle for another week and a half is it okay if let the water sit I will have a power constantly going as well as heater?

You're ok rinsing wise, on a 40b you'd prob save time if you just went with a hob filter but if you wanna make it a learning experience you could go with the diy sump, I personally am running a refugium and a hob filter on my 125. Either size would be good for your sump nbut go with the bigger of the two, it'll have a higher capacity obviously. And your tanks gonna start cycling with or without you lol. Just prob won't go far. It'll be ok

stouty6969 said:
Well I rinsed it out with spring water and then let it dry then put the ro water in was that a bad thing or em I okay with that? Now if I run a sump do I need a filter for on top of tank or just in sump I'm diy sump I have both a 10g and 20g which would be better for a 40b? And I'm not starting the cycle for another week and a half is it okay if let the water sit I will have a power constantly going as well as heater?

Okay first thing first :)

It's it going to be a (FOWLR)?? or a reef???
In the sence it's going to be a reef I would go with the 20g more water the better. And add a REFIGIUM.
If it's a(FOWLR) I would use any filter.

I'm not 100 percent sure about the overflow, but I'm thinkin since its a 40g you can prob get away with not using one.

I'm making a refugium for my 40b. The refugium is a 20g long that I picked up. I think that a refugium makes everything so much easier, especially if it's only fish, because you wouldn't need to change the water for months. If it's a reef, then you would only need to change it to regain calcium, iodine, etc.

negligent_inmate said:
You're ok rinsing wise, on a 40b you'd prob save time if you just went with a hob filter but if you wanna make it a learning experience you could go with the diy sump, I personally am running a refugium and a hob filter on my 125. Either size would be good for your sump nbut go with the bigger of the two, it'll have a higher capacity obviously. And your tanks gonna start cycling with or without you lol. Just prob won't go far. It'll be ok

What would be better for a reef tank a refugium or a sump and if u don't mind me asking what's a refugium I've been researching for weeks and I never read up on them?

slitherbomb said:
I'm making a refugium for my 40b. The refugium is a 20g long that I picked up. I think that a refugium makes everything so much easier, especially if it's only fish, because you wouldn't need to change the water for months. If it's a reef, then you would only need to change it to regain calcium, iodine, etc.

What would you suggest be the best thing for me I'm doin a reef tank do u think a refugium or sump or both if that's possible bc all I really want in my tank are my powerheads

Refugiums and sumps are basically the same things. I would suggest (this is what I'm doing) you have a first compartment with some type of filtration pads, then you have the actual refugium, which is a section with a dsb, some type of algae to remove nitrates and other trace elements (chaeto is popular) then the return pump in another section, along with a protein skimmer that pumps up water from there and pumps it back to the beginning.

slitherbomb said:
Refugiums and sumps are basically the same things. I would suggest (this is what I'm doing) you have a first compartment with some type of filtration pads, then you have the actual refugium, which is a section with a dsb, some type of algae to remove nitrates and other trace elements (chaeto is popular) then the return pump in another section, along with a protein skimmer that pumps up water from there and pumps it back to the beginning.

I like the idea of a refugium they sound idiot proof lol I'll probably be going with that idea I'm just new to sw and don't want to screw ne thing up and lose money....also how much salt did u put into ur 40b in the beginning to get the right salinity level?

Also what should me temp be set at right now it's set between 76 and 79

I haven't set it up yet. It's going up in a few days. I'm new to saltwater too! Just started a month ago. Also, to get the right salinity right, I slowly add salt, stir for a few minutes, then check with my hydrometer. after you get the amount you want, let it sit for about 30 min. Then recheck the salinity to make sure. And of course add a dechlorinator!

Back
Top Bottom