My new fish tank :]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You read right. I just don't see her tank being cycled with no ammonia source and done in a week? Do you think for off alone and one week would be enough?

I'm curious....

I'm not saying I'm right I'm just trying to figure this out myself lol.

Convict2161 said:
You read right. I just don't see her tank being cycled with no ammonia source and done in a week? Do you think for off alone and one week would be enough?

I'm curious....

I'm not saying I'm right I'm just trying to figure this out myself lol.

Ya im not sure either im just goin by numbers but dieoff of liverock is ammonia maybe there was a small cycle? If so there wouldnt be enough bb to support a fish i wouldn think, there will probably be another lil cycle when the fish were added or maybe the rock contained bb ? I guess well know soon enough lol prolly depends on how old the rock is and sand , i dont think its impossible or maybe there was no cycle because the lr already contained bb and the nitrate being present is from the dieoff who knows ? Lol :) but just looking at numbers it seems there is already bb hopefully it is cycled so there is no problems but ya i do agree that it is not common

danbstrong said:
Ya im not sure either im just goin by numbers but dieoff of liverock is ammonia maybe there was a small cycle? If so there wouldnt be enough bb to support a fish i wouldn think, there will probably be another lil cycle when the fish were added or maybe the rock contained bb ? I guess well know soon enough lol prolly depends on how old the rock is and sand , i dont think its impossible or maybe there was no cycle because the lr already contained bb and the nitrate being present is from the dieoff who knows ? Lol :) but just looking at numbers it seems there is already bb hopefully it is cycled so there is no problems but ya i do agree that it is not common

Yeah maybe I'm just special :] lol. I mean my fish are doing fine so far.. I'm will be going back to this guy in a week after I do my first water change.. So I'm going to have him test it for me but I am also going to buy my own test kit and ask him a million questions now that I have my smart fish friends to help :] lol

Ok so on another note.. Say my tank turns out fine. My fish don't die and it's cycled properly and everything. I eventually want to get corals.. But I have no idea anything about them. Tips pleaseeeee.

Mae17 said:
Ok so on another note.. Say my tank turns out fine. My fish don't die and it's cycled properly and everything. I eventually want to get corals.. But I have no idea anything about them. Tips pleaseeeee.

Haha, I say lets see how your tank turns out lol. But those lights you can have mushrooms,zoas,leathers,Xenia just to mention a few. Look at my 8 gallon tank. We have the same company and same tank.

Yeah I know it will be awhile before I get corals I just wanted to know info.. All i Know is you need certain amounts of light. That's it lol. I want colorful corals too.. The ones at my LFS are all boring lol

Mae17 said:
Yeah I know it will be awhile before I get corals I just wanted to know info.. All i Know is you need certain amounts of light. That's it lol. I want colorful corals too.. The ones at my LFS are all boring lol

You need light and flow. Certain corals like a lot of flow others medium to low. When your ready we'll be here to help!

Ok.. So I woke up today and looked at my tank and one of my clowns was missing.. So I thought aww **** it died. But then I look to the back of my tank where the overflow is and he is there still alive. I don't know how long he was there but anyway I put him back in the water and he laid on the sand for a while..BUT then he got up and now he swims around like nothing happened :]

He scared me though.. I need to find something to prevent this from happening again.

It definitely happens. I've heard of perfectly fine fish jumping...I've also heard of fish jumping because of deteriorating water conditions, ie presence of amonnia. It can be a survival response (ie if caught in a puddle on the reef and jumping back in to bigger ocean. You might check your water parameters.

UPDATE :]

I did a water change three days ago

so I tested the water today

Ph 8.0
Am 0
Ni 0
Na 10
Salt 1.022

But my black clown still wont eat.. I tried other food. Nope. Shes acting normal though.

Got two new fish :] a green chromis and a royal gramma.

image-2801229653.jpg

That's the green chromis but the gramma won't come out from hiding :[ I hope that's not a bad sign.

Mae17 said:
Got two new fish :] a green chromis and a royal gramma.

That's the green chromis but the gramma won't come out from hiding :[ I hope that's not a bad sign.

Nice! Chromis are schooling fish, though. Don't do great alone. Maybe get him 1 friend? :)

Beengirl said:
Nice! Chromis are schooling fish, though. Don't do great alone. Maybe get him 1 friend? :)

He seemed to be following my clown around.. They all kind of stick together. Do u think that will work? Lol and do u think my gramma is ok? Just getting used to the new home?

Mae17 said:
He seemed to be following my clown around.. They all kind of stick together. Do u think that will work? Lol and do u think my gramma is ok? Just getting used to the new home?

I'm sure he's fine. My gramma is a morning swimmer. He's swims all over in the morning, then heads back to his little hiding spot for many hours, comes out for dinner, back to his spot. He comes out periodically to rub on the one Zoa that has long skirt a few times. It must tickle him or something, cuz he only does it to that one Zoa that has a long skirt. Lol. Thought at first he might have ich, but its been couple months and no spots and he's not sick, still eats great. He's just a silly guy. :)

Convict2161 said:
Glad to see all is well!

Ok also I have these white worm looking things growing from one of my rocks

image-3079070740.jpg

It's hard to see but they are in the cave part of the rock growing out of the rock.

Mae17 said:
They are also growing off the back of the rock

It's hard to see

Could be feather duster tubes, but honestly it's pretty difficult (for me, at least-lol) to see.

I Have same thing on my rocks and sand bed. After a week it start open up a bit and I'm 90% sure its feather duster

Back
Top Bottom