My tomato clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hemichris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am on week 4 of my cycling process and i threw in a tomato clown fish.
For 5 days he has not eaten. I have thrown in 4 pellets a day and he does not eat them. What should i do?

Is your cycle over yet?
What are your water parameters?
How did you acclimate him?

Your fish is probably suffering from ammonia poisoning if your cycle is not complete. Why did you throw the fish in during your cycle?

Tomato clown

I only have .25 amonia in my tank and everything else is good. everything else in my tank is eating fine.

I'm a bit confused. Your fist post sounds like you put the clown in first. Now, it sounds like there are other fish.
everything else in my tank is eating fine.

4 weeks into a cycle and you're stocking already? What else in in the tank and how long have they been there? Did you ever see the ammonia go up and return to zero? Same for the nitrite? The clown will probably die soon. Depending on the other fish, you may have problems there too - even though they're eating now.

I would tend to think, if you are just now getting the ammonia spike, yor nitrites/nitrates haven't caught up to the ammonia (does that sound right?)
What other fish do you have in there and can you take them back to the LFS (if your tanks hasn't finished it's cycle)? You might lose everything in the tank, if you have inverts in there as well....
I am guessing you took advice from your LFS? Don't worry, a lot of people do. That is why this forum is great. There is more experience here than any LFS. What did/do is ask a lot of questions, here, and read. My LFS hasn't steered me wrong, but I still ask here first.

I only have .25 amonia in my tank
That is .25 too much of MH3. The only acceptble level for livestock is zero. The good news is that you are still early in the tank's process. I suggest taking all livestock back and letting your tank cycle completely before you begin to SLOWLY add the fish back. Trust me, it will be much easeir to do this now then to constantly battle poor water parameters and fish deaths because you started off too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom