Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2005, 01:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

N00b..Live rock question

I know about buying stuff from LFS is generally bad, but I did because the guy up there is going to help me set up my tank..I have a 55 gal. and I bought a wet/dry sump and protein skimmer combo, I also bought the agri live sand and (I believe) 16 lbs of live rock..it had some clams on it so I thought that may be alright.. I do know that I overpayed, but figured since the guy will come help me set it all up that it would be ok.. now my question is this: How much more live rock should I buy to start off with? And would it hurt to wait until later to add more rock? BTW my next live rock will be bought online, I've seen mentioned liverocks.com and will probably get it from there.. Any advice would help.. Oh, I also bought this moonlight led light combo that has 3 different lights in it.. anyone heard of these?

Old 04-09-2005, 02:18 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Recommended amount of LR is 1.5-2lbs per gal. You need to remember that some can be in the wet/dry or sump. Also take into account that some corals will come attached to LR pieces. When purchasing LR online you can expect a spike as the shipping and storage cause some dieoff. As you said, definately LR.com. The rock they have is so fresh and held in proper tanks until overnight shipped to your door. Very little dieoff is seen with it. That being said I would get as much LR as possible at the start so the aquascaping and cycling is over.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 02:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for the response..I was looking on lr.com and noticed it had live base rock..the cheaper price at cost of coraline algae doesn't sound to bad.. but will the algae eventually grow on it? would this be a good way to go?
Old 04-09-2005, 05:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

u can use real cheap base rock just to sink in the sand...
and get maybe 40 pound of LR to put on top of the cheaper rock (the LR wont sink this way)...
The quicker you get all your LR in there ...the better...
more quantity the better (expensive...lol tell me about it)
worth it in the long run
Old 04-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok.. so I have bought like 12 or 16 lbs of LR and I now need 40lbs more? or 40lbs plus the rock for underneath the sand? lol.. or can I just get by for the time being with 40 more lbs? I can wait to by fish, I'm patient, I can add more as I get more money saved.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just found hirocks.com. is this a good base rock? It seems cheaper than lr.com for base. thinking about 40lbs of keys from lr.com and 30lbs of base from hirocks.com. would this be enough for now?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

LR.com base rock is live base rock. It will have some coraline on it. Rock from Hirocks is dead rock. It is cheaper for that reason. The 16lbs you bought could be used to seed the Hirocks stuff but it will take longer.

Some have had good luck ordering from LR.com and not having die off. I had a batch that I added straight to the tank with no problems. This is a gamble though.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

thanks for all the advice... much to decide on here... 8)
Old 04-10-2005, 09:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

you can use any crappy rock to push in the sand...just use your quality rock above it)
Then again it also depends on how deep your sand is too )
u dont need a lot of base rock...just enuff to stop LR from sinkin anywhere...
30pound of base may be too much)
go to LFS and see wot cheap rock they have ? for base
good luck )
PS as for your LR..u dont need to get it all at once just buy it as you can afford it ,a ratio would be 1pound per 1.5 gallon
Old 04-10-2005, 09:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal
you can use any crappy rock to push in the sand...just use your quality rock above it)
Then again it also depends on how deep your sand is too )
u dont need a lot of base rock...just enuff to stop LR from sinkin anywhere...
30pound of base may be too much)
go to LFS and see wot cheap rock they have ? for base
good luck )
PS as for your LR..u dont need to get it all at once just buy it as you can afford it ,a ratio would be 1pound per 1.5 gallon
Ditto

32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com