Need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PVC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Needs some advice I have a 55g saltwater tank with about 30 lbs of live rock (cured) and have just added two small tank raised clowns. The clowns were drip acclimated to the tank and no fish store water was added to my tank. I am concerned about possibly introducing unwanted microorganisms from the fish into my tank. I was told by a fish store that the live rock needed the fish waste to survive and should add fish right away so i neglected a qt for the new fish. What should I do? Should I pull them out and put them in a qt tank or should I just wait and see if they develop any illnesses if so how long? From what I've been reading, about a month will show? If I qt new fish and treat them with antibiotics and anti parasitic medicines will this prevent them from possible infection ? I've also read that the live rock cannot handle antibiotics but are there some rock safe medicines? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi! Normally, yes i would QT if possible. But since these are your 1st two fish, just leave them IMO. You should be able to tell if they are healthy enough within the next few weeks. Youre good to go IMO!

And fyi, you need the fish waste for the cycle to continue...not for the live rock. The live rock would be fine for awhile without any source of ammonia

Back
Top Bottom