Need advice for getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TCook

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 90 gallon tank, a Penguin 330 and Emperor 400 hang on filters and a Magnum 350 cannister filter. If I am going to do a salt water set up would it be better to ditch the Penguin and replace it with a PS? Also, I have heard that bio-wheels are almost useless in salt - any input on this? Would large amounts of live rock be more effective for bio filters? I am leaning towards a fish only setup. I've had oscars for quite some time and this will be my first shot at saltwater so any advice would be very welcome! Thanks.

First piece of advice is to go out and buy/read The Concious Marine Aquarist

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-6400275-9210258?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Second biowheels aren't recomeneded becasue they build up bacteria which is usually used to break down nitrites to nitrates, this can cause higher nitrates in the tank.

Not sure i know what a PS is, and defintly use lots of live rock at least 150lbs.

While I respect the advice of purchasing reading materials, there are plenty of forums (including this site) which has more info than you can shake a stick at. Google for your info. If you dont get anywhere on your own, then in fact, a book may be your best choice. Nothing wrong with it, just hate to see someone spend money on something you can get completely free online. As for your question, You don't mention...This fo, fowlr, reef? What do you intend to keep starting out? In any case I have read mixed reviews, mostly negative, with regards to the bio wheels in a saltwater setting.

I agree with you pc. I have never purchased any books and I have found every piece of information that I needed online.

I'd like to throw my two cents in here...I found books to be very helpful as well as the advice here and from "experienced LFS experts"...I usually use all three sources for reference and then plan my next move.

Back
Top Bottom