Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
I know it's more money up front however I highly recommend an RODI unit.
Eventually I would like to go that route..... I just can't swing it right now

Old 03-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Understandable. I found it cheaper for two reasons: 1) it's my own water so it's penny's on the dollar. 2) I'd go into my lfs for water and leave with coral

Old 03-27-2013, 01:50 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirtlessbill View Post
Understandable. I found it cheaper for two reasons: 1) it's my own water so it's penny's on the dollar. 2) I'd go into my lfs for water and leave with coral
Haha... I hear that..... Eventually I can pull it off, just not right now
Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff.rice

Haha... I hear that..... Eventually I can pull it off, just not right now
You can go a long time on store bought RO water with a 29 gallon tank. If it was a larger tank it would be a lot more trouble hauling all that water. I'd wait on the RO filter until you're really certain that saltwater tanks are going to be a part of your life.

For a regular fish tank Instant Ocean is perfect for salt. Even for a reef it's very popular. Just keep in mind that the fish you've been mentioning are 100% NOT reef or invertebrate safe. Puffers and box fish are large expert level predators. Starting off with clowns, gobies, certain small wrasses and similar reef safe fish will be far easier and cheaper than messy predators that eat corals, shrimp and small fish.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post

You can go a long time on store bought RO water with a 29 gallon tank. If it was a larger tank it would be a lot more trouble hauling all that water. I'd wait on the RO filter until you're really certain that saltwater tanks are going to be a part of your life.

For a regular fish tank Instant Ocean is perfect for salt. Even for a reef it's very popular. Just keep in mind that the fish you've been mentioning are 100% NOT reef or invertebrate safe. Puffers and box fish are large expert level predators. Starting off with clowns, gobies, certain small wrasses and similar reef safe fish will be far easier and cheaper than messy predators that eat corals, shrimp and small fish.
Thanx CorallineAlgae.... What are some good fish to start out with that wouldn't get too big for my 30 gallon tank? I like the ones you mentioned..... Are they all compatible with each other?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would it be beneficial to put some of my bio balls in the canister filter of my freshwater tank just to get some good bacteria on them? I can put them in the canister filter and let them get some good stuff and then put them in my sump tank after a week or two?!?!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope. Wrong bacteria.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks..... I put a few in there anyways.... Guess ill just leave them in there! Lol
Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you can't swing your own RO/DI unit right now, one thing I'd definitely recommend getting is your own TDS meter for about $15..... I really don't trust grocery stores to properly maintain water filtration systems, and it's good, cheap insurance to make sure you know what you're getting. True RO/DI water should be 0 TDS.

HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range, 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 3% Readout Accuracy - Amazon.com
Old 03-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only thing that putting bio balls from a freshwater filter into a saltwater tank will do is kill the bacteria on the bio balls. Saltwater reef tanks need different sand, rocks, light, water flow, and filter media and equipment than most freshwater tanks. I don't actually recommend using bio balls in a reef tank. If you want a fish only saltwater tank bio balls may be useful.

The TDS meter mentioned above is a great idea. They're cheap and really do tell you how pure the water is whether you have your own RO/DI filter or buy water from a store.

Again, if you're just starting out, reading a book on saltwater tanks is a great way to get some basic information about what it takes to care for your new tank.

Tags
ick, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com