New 110 gallon tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tlc

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a 55 set up now with fish and live rock :) looking for some ideas on setting up the new bigger tank. We have decided we don't want corrals so both tanks will be FOWLRS only. Should I do a sump or
Cannister filter? I currently have crushed corral would Sand be better?

i woulkd say bio filtration is better on a sump and it also holds a higher water volume so when a fish dies the pollution stays lower, and you han have a slightly higher bio load. a sump can hold a refugium for pods.

a canister holds media to filter the water thats all it does

If you have the extra money I say put a sump on there to make life a little easier for ya. I always pick sand over crushed coral but that's up to you, same thing if you can afford it lay down some sand:D

Thanks guys. Yes I am going to take some time to build this tank and of course the money lol. What kind of sand would I buy? I was hoping for a white sand? Is it true sand is easier to keep clean? What I meant by the canister filter was that along with a skimmer on the back? Right now my 55 has a double bio wheel HOB filter and a prism deluxe skimmer. I have 2 koalia level 3-4 power heads as well. I also have about 25-30lbs live rock. If you do a sump do you need a in sump protein skimmer?

you don't need an in sump protein skimmer for a sump, but it's one of the major reasons for a sump. in sump skimmers are much better than the HOB models.

yes, the smaller the grains of sand, the harder it is for uneaten food and fish poop to get trapped in between the granules. if you choose aragonite based sand, it will buffer the ph.

i heard "southdown" sand was good to use, but most of the play sand is silica based, and they say it leaches silicates out and causes algae issues. i don't know how true that is, but it's been the advice for years.
plus, it doesn't buffer the ph.

I definitely want the sand to buffer the ph and I Don't want any algae lol. The tank is 48x18x30 so how many inches of sand is a good amount? Can I purchase the sand wash it and put it in the tank even though I'm not adding water right away?

sure you can. i don't know how many inches is a good amount. that's going to be up to you. will you be keeping any sand dwellers?

i have a friend wo uses nothing but playbox sand and i don't think hes ever had an issue but i haven't asked him about that. 3 inches is a nice depth for a sand bed i'd say. it allows for nice invert burrows

Here, use this calculator to calculate the depth of your sand:
Sand Bed

Also, the depth of the sand is based solely on your own personal taste. If you like a thin layer of sand, then go with 1-1.5". If you like it in between, go with 3". However, if you want the added benefits of a DSB(Deep Sand Bed) then you need to go 5" or higher. I'm not talking about 4 inches in one corner and 5 inches in another... you will not benefit from a setup like that. It needs to be a consistent 5" all around. Most people just go with 6" all around to be safe. I'll be using a DSB for my fuge on my current build. 6".

Anyways, i would advise against getting the sand, washing it and then leaving it in your tank. My concern is that, sand that is waterlogged never really dries out, especially fine sand. Therefore the water still in the sand will become stagnant and will collect bacteria. Your best bet is to get the dry sand and then wait until the day you plan on filling up the tank to put it in. Definitely rinse it thoroughly before putting it in your tank. I always rinsed it 5 or 6 times, then put it in, and then filled up my tank.

On another note.. HOB skimmers are an eyesore, and on a big tank like that, you will definitely benefit from having a sump. Almost all tanks over 100G usually have sumps or built in refugiums. At least the ones i've seen.

Thanks. I have a cleaner shrimp and a lawnmower blenny. I would like some crabs and some bottom dwellers. I just find cleaning the CC to be a big pain and it always seems dusty and dirty :(

I am looking at a pre built plastic sump at my LFS they are expensive lol

marineland?

look up DIY sumps, you can find lots just by using a regular rectangular tank and some 100% silicone

No I dont think it was a marineland. Yea I seen a couple videos but it's one of those things I would like working 100% and I'm the person to make it wrong lol :) plus I only have a 10gal hospital tank and a 55 gal that I have nurtured lol

Meh... i still wouldn't do it. It's not the same as nice fresh clean sand. But feel free to do it how ever you like.

indeed you still have to cycle the sump so why not invest in a used 20 or 30 gallon long tank and turn it into a sump, its really not to complicated at all

Back
Top Bottom