New 20 gal reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjh302

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've decided to change my freshwater 20gallon tank over to saltwater. I'm getting ready to leave home and make the 3 hr trip up to that fish place in Lancaster pa and hope to find a small skimmer and filtration. Is there any products someone could recommend that are budget friendly for the transition. Do I need to use anything special to clean the tank with before I add sand and saltwater??

Wait until next weekend. They have their annual sale then and a lot of stuf is really cheap.

This is my only weekend free for the next few or else I'm all about waiting for a sale! Lol

I would soak/scrub the tank with a vinegar water solution. You don't "need" a skimmer if you don't want one, and an aqua clear filter would work great for you to run some media.

I would soak/scrub the tank with a vinegar water solution. You don't "need" a skimmer if you don't want one, and an aqua clear filter would work great for you to run some media.

Which aquaclear do you suggest? And how about a power head? Size?

Which aquaclear do you suggest? And how about a power head? Size?

Honestly anything from the ac30 up would work fine. There are some nice after market products for the larger ones (70-110) and you can find a heater that will fit inside them. For ph I would say a couple k-nano 240's (or something similar) would work fine, or I've been thinking about getting a jaebo wp10 for one of my 20s. There a little more than korillias but they offer controllability similar to the vortechs which is nice

Would it be of great benifit to have the skimmer? Basically is it worth the 50 bucks to have it?

Would it be of great benifit to have the skimmer? Basically is it worth the 50 bucks to have it?

That's up to you really, but a skimmer is always a nice have. I gave 2 20 longs 1 with a skimmer 1 without, the maintenance routine is the same

That's up to you really, but a skimmer is always a nice have. I gave 2 20 longs 1 with a skimmer 1 without, the maintenance routine is the same

Mine is a 20 tall. It was originally a Walmart kit aquarium. It has angels in it right now. They are going to go to one of my many other tanks.

Setup would be pretty much the same, hopefully bribo checks back in because he's got a very impressive 20 tall setup.

If you are looking at a skimmer that only costs $50 i would say leave it off. :) A decent skimmer for that tank should run about $100 or so.

I was at that fish place last week and I was surprised by how expensive they were. They do have a back room with a bunch of marked down stuff though, so its worth a looksie.

A skimmer is nice, if you can afford a decent one. Getting a crappy one defeats the purpose and it pretty much a waste of money. :)

Water changes on that size tank will pretty much take care of exporting out the bad and replenishing the good.

Your not running a sump on this are you? If not, which I'm pretty sure is the case, I would just throw that $50 towards lighting and skip that skimmer.

Ahhh the aquaticlife skimmer. Gotta be honest, I have had two of them and it works ok. Not the worlds best skimmer and hard to dial in but it does pull gunk. :)

Probably the only $50 skimmer I''ve ever used and liked. lol

I am buying two koralia 240gph... Will the koralia pump controller work with these and if so would it be a good addition?

The controller will work with them. :) Two powerheads are good too, balance the flow out a bit. I love my koralias, great pumps and they have top notch customer service if anything does fail.

What exactly does this smart wave controller do?

You can adjust when each one comes on and off and create a wave of you like. It will not adjust the intensity though, just switches the flow back and forth. My honest opinion is you dont need it and can save the $50 for something you can use more.

Back
Top Bottom