Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I realize that. I'm doing the best I can. You say the mag18 is choked back to more than half? Is it louder now wide open after the adjustments you made? Is the tank completely level?

Old 01-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know you are wasn't trying to be disrespectful. Thank you for your efforts. Yes the tank is level. I have noticed that the side that is louder also has less output from the discharge. Probably due to the longer host feeding it. I currently have it wide open, I could throttle it back again if you'd like. I opened it back up as I just got set up and I wanted to filter as much water as I could for a while. Wasn't sure if throttling it back was a good idea or not.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Choking a pump back at it's exhaust port doesn't do any harm to it. You just don't want to starve it at the intake side. That said, this tank should be able to handle a mag 18, especially after head loss. If you choke it back, does it get quiet?
Perhaps you should google "quiet standpipe design" and try some other configurations.
I just did that and came across this picture, which is what I was referring to early on with the airline tubing-

Old 01-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another option which I was never a fan of would be putting a ball valve on the drain, just below the tank. Some say this would correct that noise issue, by choking off the drain to some extent.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

I did google my issue to great length and most people either recommend the durso or bean animal but it requires 3 holes in each overflow from what I've read. From what I've also read the megaflow is actually a durso right? It looks just like the image you attached except I have a hole at the top. If I reduce flow it does absolutely get quieter. I thought the airline was supposed to go into the top hole, not the intake hole, maybe that is why? Although I would think they'd accomplish the same thing.

Dave
Old 01-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, they would be the same thing. I just figured you would try it this way before drilling the hole bigger. And yes, you are using a durso standpipe.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

yeah the hose didn't help much. Is there any chance the fact that the pressure out of the far outlet is lower than the one closer to the pump? The noisy overflow is by the one w/ less pressure.

Dave
Old 01-14-2015, 09:07 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sure. The return (thin pipes returning water to the display) with more head loss will have less pressure leaving the spout, but if the tank is level, it's not going to matter to the drains to sump.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

I may go get the parts to try a hofer gurgle buster, any opinion on that?

Dave
Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope. That's a new one to me.

Tags
ate, flow, ick, overflow, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com