New 210g w/ center overflow water trickling sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I realize that. I'm doing the best I can. You say the mag18 is choked back to more than half? Is it louder now wide open after the adjustments you made? Is the tank completely level?

I know you are wasn't trying to be disrespectful. Thank you for your efforts. Yes the tank is level. I have noticed that the side that is louder also has less output from the discharge. Probably due to the longer host feeding it. I currently have it wide open, I could throttle it back again if you'd like. I opened it back up as I just got set up and I wanted to filter as much water as I could for a while. Wasn't sure if throttling it back was a good idea or not.

Choking a pump back at it's exhaust port doesn't do any harm to it. You just don't want to starve it at the intake side. That said, this tank should be able to handle a mag 18, especially after head loss. If you choke it back, does it get quiet?
Perhaps you should google "quiet standpipe design" and try some other configurations.
I just did that and came across this picture, which is what I was referring to early on with the airline tubing-

durso_mod1.jpg

Another option which I was never a fan of would be putting a ball valve on the drain, just below the tank. Some say this would correct that noise issue, by choking off the drain to some extent.

I did google my issue to great length and most people either recommend the durso or bean animal but it requires 3 holes in each overflow from what I've read. From what I've also read the megaflow is actually a durso right? It looks just like the image you attached except I have a hole at the top. If I reduce flow it does absolutely get quieter. I thought the airline was supposed to go into the top hole, not the intake hole, maybe that is why? Although I would think they'd accomplish the same thing.

Dave

Yes, they would be the same thing. I just figured you would try it this way before drilling the hole bigger. And yes, you are using a durso standpipe.

yeah the hose didn't help much. Is there any chance the fact that the pressure out of the far outlet is lower than the one closer to the pump? The noisy overflow is by the one w/ less pressure.

Dave

Sure. The return (thin pipes returning water to the display) with more head loss will have less pressure leaving the spout, but if the tank is level, it's not going to matter to the drains to sump.

I may go get the parts to try a hofer gurgle buster, any opinion on that?

Dave

The noise is coming from one of the drains, correct? Not sure if this would be possible, but is there a way to situate the drain tube so that there is no area where water will pool? See crude arrow versus the curve of the tubing in pic:
Li7YirW.png
The drain tube will allow air and water to travel without pooling in the low curved area.
I use to run a drain to a sump using 1.5" clear plastic tubing and it was noisy. It had a curved area much like a p-trap in a sink drain. I moved the sump so that the curve was eliminated and the noise went away as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I straightened that tube by holding it in my hand a few days back to eliminate the drain tubing being the issue. So it went right into the sump w/ no curve at the sump and it changed nothing. The noise is coming from the overflows though.

Okay, was worth a shot. Been following this and I'm stumped.
Have you contacted the manufacturer? Perhaps there's a site that has Eshopps product reviews?

Why do you think the issue is from the wet/dry filter? The overflows came w/ the tank and is the source of all of the noise. I could put that hose onto the floor and the sound would be the same. The noise is coming from the top of the standpipe BTW. There is a video a few pages back.

Dave

My bad. I for some reason thought the overflow was from Eshopps as well.
The system I used had an HOB style overflow and the source of the noise was the standpipe. That was resolved by straightening out the drain tubing and suspending a bio-ball with some fishing line down the standpipe (similar to the airline tubing in that it channeled the water allowing air to escaped at the same time).
I could not view the video. Not sure why. I am using the mobile app. For videos, I usually post them on YouTube and paste the url in a post.

That's not a bad idea either and something I may try. How far down did you suspend the bio ball? Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some pvc and try this.

Dave

That's not a bad idea either and something I may try. How far down did you suspend the bio ball? Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some pvc and try this.

Dave

Not very far. Maybe 6". Where the standpipe ended and drain hose started. It definitely took out the gurgling. More like a trickle noise. Was not loud to me. Wife on the other hand prolly described it as Niagara Falls. It's been a while since I lasted used that setup ('95).
Good luck silencing that thing.

Ok I put a media ball in there. It was a very snug fit and actually holds itself in there. I though it would generate a huge restriction but decided to look into it anyway. I looked at the output into the sump on that side and it seems to be returning about the same amount of volume. The best part is the thing is dead silent now. You can barely hear it even with your head over it. I had to adjust air into the cap w/ tape temporarily to eliminate the surge but it is quiet as can be. However I'm a bit leery of all of this because if I had to restrict it that much to quiet it what Is the real problem here? I have to assume the pump (mag 18) is putting out enough volume and from what I recall the megaflows could support 1200 gpm and w/ head height and other calculations I was a bit over 1200. Just a bit confused and trying to understand more of this.

Ok strangely a few hours later it started to surge. Opened up that hole at the top of standpipe and it fixed that not now it's a bit louder due to that.

Back
Top Bottom