New 210g w/ center overflow water trickling sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Try the ball valve on the noisy drain. Some folks have luck with that and it seems to be an easier mod than that gurgle buster.

I think the gurgle buster is even easier as it just slips into the drain. For a valve below I'd have to buy another valve and cut the hose under there. Plus it'd be more expensive. I'll try the gurgle buster (4 bucks in parts) and if it fails I'll take it out and try a ball valve. I may replumb and use all pvc under the stand rather than the flexible and clear tubing I have now. Not sure that'd make any difference though.

Thanks. I would design it with valves and couplers to remove the entire center section with just a rotation of two fittings. The gurgle buster couldn't flow enough water as I purchased 1" ID PVC for the drain and I think even w/ 12 1/2" holes it didn't seem to flow enough, I could be wrong but water seemed to struggle to stay below the highest row of holes which lead me to believe I needed more flow.

Dave

Nope was making a ton of noise because the water was usually over the top row of holes and I had to remove the top cap to let air into the system. Rather than holes I may cut out the entire side of it is so it's one bit square opening rather than a bunch of small holes.

Dave

this is getting a tad annoying. Every few hours it surges for a bit and sounds like a toilet flushing then goes away. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks
Dave

This makes me think of when my sump was plumbed with flex tube. It would gargle and be loud and when I adjusted the tube's positioning was able to make it go away. It just had too much sag in it. May or may not be something similar, but worth playing around with.

I was thinking the same thing but if you look at the pictures of the right drain tube it is a near diagonal. really thinking of maybe going with pvc

How do you think that will help though...I mean from a physics standpoint.....If the shape of the drain is the issue, moving it around until you get the right spot should do the same thing, right?

I don't know, i'm nearly out of ideas. It only happens on the right side and unfortunately the right side hose is further away from the sump by a few feet so I cannot do that spiral hose routing Like I have on the left side which is quiet.

Dave

I have no way to quantify flow but I just ended up reducing flow out of the pump w/ a ball valve. I noticed zero change on the output at the sump so I am assuming the pump may have been overpowering the overflows. I don't understand why the left one was fine but my best guess is that fact that it nearly went straight down and the spiral may have helped the water velocity whereas the right one angles about 70 degrees out of the bulkhead and then angled about 30 degrees until it hits the sump at about 60 degrees. No idea for sure though.

Based on my calcs w/ an 1800 GPH pump and a 3/4" ID outlet hose to a Y then up to each bulkhead (57" rise) I'm right at about 1000 GPH w/o any throttling back of the flow. I have to assume the megaflow overflows can cover that. No?
Dave

You'd think so but it makes no sense that the right one is very loud and surges like crazy sometimes unless I keep the flow throttled way back.

Dave

Little more update, the problem seems to follow the actual adjustable pipe/intake. However I did dial down the flow a bit as anything over 1/2 on the ball valve just causes nothing but surge so I'm not 100% sure that is true. At about 1/2 (Throttling right after pump) one Is dead quiet and the other one isn't bad if I stick a hose in it. What I don't get is the water level on the louder one is a bit lower when using the actual 180 degree intake bend as a reference (tank is level). Despite the height of that intake pvc the water level "should" be at the same height on the pipe on both overflows I would assume. It's a good inch lower on the loud side. TO me this indicates one drain is more efficient than the other and the water is exiting the intake tube faster thus not causing backup and water level increase. I did try to increase flow to test this theory though and it did not rise the water level on that side. Can anyone think of any reason the water level on one overflow would be lower.

I've added a pic for reference to what I'm referring to.
Perplexed..
Dave

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 59
What happens when you completely remove the 180 on the loud side and just try to quiet it with a piece of airline tubing?

So basically just the vertical pipe and holding a piece of airtube in the vertical pipe?

Dave

I'll give it a go. I also noted when the entire pipe was out (just bulkhead) it was quieter also.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom