New 48g Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imapilot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After months of looking and learning, we finally picked up a tank. Found a gently used 50 gallon bowfront that had been used for saltwater before (it was a trade in at a LFS). It came with a Penguin 350 filter, 1 750 gph powerhead, a Marineland Protein Skimmer and a unknown heater. The lights are a built into the hood from Coralife (without the bulbs).

Everything looks to work, except obviously the lights (smart enough to realize without the bulbs doesnt work too well).

So I guess I have some questions for folks... I am traveling alot in September, and therefore do not plan on stocking with fish until early October (when I can be around to make sure all's well before leaving basic upkeep/feeding to my son). Can I get the live rock without the lights on (I can get them if so needed)? I assume buying the water from my local LFS is the best idea? is there anything specifically I need to do for the live rock once its put in to cycle (I will be getting already cured LR)? If I get some of the shrimp/snails before the fish, will they be OK or do I need to feed them specifically?

We are super excited by this. We had been planning on leaving the tank empty for the next month, but frankly, I want to at least work on the aquascaping.of the live rock in the next few days. Already addicted before starting :)

You don't need lights for the live rock. I am cycling a little tank right now just for fun and all I did was add a shrimp, turn on my equipment and let the bacteria do its thing! You can buy your water at your LFS. Highly recommend researching RO/DI units for your home as its a lot more convenient and eventually will probably save you money. A lot of LFS have used units so that would be a good way to save money. You can also save money by figuring out how much live rock you plan to put in the tank and substitute some of it for dry base rock...not all of it but some. It's cheaper and eventually the live rock you have will seed the dead rock and you'll have all live rock ( if that made sense???lol!)

Back
Top Bottom