New 55 Gallon Seahorse Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SVTUSMC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Guys and Gals!

So here we go...I've got a spare 55 gallon sitting in the garage, and nothing but time. My mom has always wanted to keep seahorses as long as I can recall, so its time for me to make this dream come true. My goal is to have it all up and running with the horses by Christmas. I know it's a long process and seahorses require lots of care and if I didn't think my mom could handle it I wouldnt even do it. But I know she can.

What I have this far a 55 gallon tank.
I have done lots of reading, but I have always found peoples input better. So what equipment would you use? I'm talking about all of it down to the substrate.

I'm open to any comments or concerns, like I said I've done plenty of reading but would love some input from any peers.

And I can't wait to update you all along the way.

Is this your first saltwater? A 55g may be too big for seahorses to be honest but of course easier to maintain stable water parameters. I am no seahorse expert I just know that they can only be kept in a species only tank and require constant small feedings, so lots of time and care...

It is my first SW, and I know many will try and detour me form doing it. However I've done plenty of FW. And the only reason I was saying s 55 is because I know they say 30 for one pair, but I was using the FW knowledge I have and assuming bigger was better.

If your doing horses, make sure you use RODI water and set up a auto top off system. My 55G reef loses around a 1/2 to a Gal of water a day.

Not putting you off, just letting you know what's involved. Seahorses are awesome and something I plan to do in the future. I have had a 55g reef for a couple of years now so one day I will tackle the horses! Have you checked out any of the dwarf seahorses? Having just two in a 55 might not be that interesting? Maybe. Check out some of the articles on here about salt water set ups, not specifically seahorses but just general stuff about maintenance etc. salinity fluctuations can be a killer for seahorses and most salt water inhabitants so the top off idea is a great one too... Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom